Why become a member? ×

RH750 Fixed and great TC Electronic support

Shylock

I thought I would share the solution to my TC Electronic RH 750 problem for those like me were unaware of a common issue and great support from Thierry of TC Electronic.

I bought my RH 750 from a fellow basschatter in April 2016 and last week the sound cut out. I knew the signal was getting to the preamp as the onboard tuner continued to work and the aux input still worked with sound through my headphones.

I contacted TC Electronic support and I resolved the issue by putting a patch lead between the effects loop send and return. I removed the lead and it continued to work ok. Apparently dirt in the return socket can cause an amp to assume an external pre-amp is connected and cut off the internal pre-amp. I since understand that this can happen to any amp with an effects loop and, whilst I expect this may be well known, it was news for me and hence this post.

A long term solution is to get it cleaned but on expressing my reluctance to send it the authorised agent in Sheffield I was advised that I could invalidate any warranty. I told Thierry that I was unsure if there was any warranty left as I had bought it second hand and had been told it was nine months old on purchase. However I thought it could be older as some of the pre-set buttons had small cracks in which I know is a common issue.

Thierry then advised me, from the serial number, that it was purchased from Andertons Music Company in early February 2014. Over twice as old as I was told (Hmmm…) but could have been worse. However even though out of warranty Thierry has sent me a full set of replacement buttons and also a set of spare knobs in case these crack and received within five working days.

Overall I consider this excellent support from TC Electronic. Thank you Thierry.

• 4 months later...

My RH450 died on my third or fourth gig during soundcheck. White smoke.
That was a Saturday. On Sunday I was able to get a response to my query, and they arranged for me to receive a new one at my local dealer. On Wednesday I walked in with my dead amp and walked out with a fresh one. Impressive service.

Their support team are good and very helpful - lucky really as, unfortunately, they get a lot of faults :(

I've not seen one fail completely but every single one we've had in the store has had to have some work done on it. Usually just cracked and/or crackly knobs and we did get one with the send/return issue as well.