Why become a member? ×

Ashdown little bastard whooshing

Westenra

I'm pretty miffed, bought this second hand the other month and today I've got that whooshing sound which (from what I gather) could be a transformer issue. Now as I bought it second hand am I entitled to ashdowns superb customer service or should I take it to a tech? OR ( a big or) is it something a little DIY can't fix?

Well I didn't take any valves out and the whooshing sound went away on its own BUT (and a big but at that!) I've noticed a substational drop in volume, I can have it cranked going through a barefaced 15" compact and it isn't nearly as loud as it was yesterday with the whooshing sound.

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1470063622' post='3103001']
It's a valve amp, first thing to do is clean the valve contacts, and then swap similar valves around to see if the noise changes. This will sort out a huge proportion of valve amp troubles by fixing it, or showing up a defective valve.
[/quote]

+1

So I opened it up, took all the valves out and sprayed contact spray, no luck... I then replaced one of the stubbier valves (the three in the front, guess they are the pre-amp ones...?) with a new ruby one and boom it all works perfectly now.

However when I was going through the valves they were a mix match of different types, is this something I should avoid?

[quote name='Westenra' timestamp='1470682670' post='3107649']
So I opened it up, took all the valves out and sprayed contact spray, no luck... I then replaced one of the stubbier valves (the three in the front, guess they are the pre-amp ones...?) with a new ruby one and boom it all works perfectly now.

However when I was going through the valves they were a mix match of different types, is this something I should avoid?
[/quote]

The pre amp and any driver tubes typically can be different. And in the case of the LB has 2x12ax7 and 1x12au7 any off these can be a different brand. And you can probably play about with the 12ax7's to get slight changes.
The output valves (el84) however should be matched and of the same brand.

[quote name='Westenra' timestamp='1470748958' post='3108129']
Any recommendations for replacement valves? Want something that can bark with my jazz...
[/quote]

I know over on talkbass they have a few excellent threads on the LB including swapping valves etc.