Why become a member? ×

LINE 6 BASS COMBOS - VIEWS PLEASE

BassManGraham

I've owned the Studio 110 and was very impressed with it. I briefly played the 1x15" version, can't remember if it was 150 or 300w. I would say they do a lot of things well, just aren't outstanding at anything! Perfectly acceptable as a monitor I would say.

I've used the lowdown 300.
They are ridiculously cheap to buy, and do a good job, as said without being outstanding or impressive.
The low-down has a lot of modeling and amp emulation on, making for a big array of sounds.
Not punchy or deep, but fine to get an ok sound from.

I've used an LD300 in both a practice room and as the provided backline at a multi-band event. In the rehearsal room, I always managed to get 'a sound' out of it, but I was constantly tweaking parameters to try to get my sound out of it. On stage at the multi-band event, I found it just got 'lost' and it certainly didn't feel like 300w or anywhere close to it. As la bam says above, there is a lot of modelling and emulation going on, and I found that the amp lacked grunt when used live.

They're not bad but not brilliant. I never lacked balls or grunt from my old one but by Christ was it heavy.

You should be able to get a decent sound out of it, I would stick to either the clean or rock setting. Leave the deep button alone and crank the low mids

[quote name='BassManGraham' timestamp='1470024995' post='3102709']
Playing a festival soon where a Line 6 bass combo is provided. I realise that this is only for stage monitoring as I will be DI'd, but as Line 6 are one of the few bass amps I've yet to try just seeking players views? Cheers
[/quote]
I used on on a session... I can't recall if they told me what was available but I figured it would be for the room anyway as we had an isolation room for the kit.
I used a 115 Combo which had 6 pre sets on a switch and I settled for the SVT emulation.

I came away thinking it was usable on small gigs, quite light, altho I didn't have to move it around much, and a reasonable bit of kit for the pricepoint which was around £500 iirc..

My main amp is a line 6 150 combo, personally I think it's great. Huge range of different sounds and great eq section with low and hi mids. The compression on it however isn't that great but you should not have a problem if you are running your pedal board into it.

For me personally the "rock" ampeg sound is the best one to use, the "clean" Eden sound really lacks punch, the rnb flip top is great for old 60s songs. The Brit, distortion and synth aren't the best either. But the ampeg tone really seems to work for me. It's a great piece of kit for what it is and its size. It's built very well and handles getting thrown around.

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks for your comments guys.

I did the gig and the Line 6 Combo was a Low Down 300 (1x15). It did what was needed. It had more than enough volume for a stage monitor purposes and the tone was actually pretty good, given we only had time for a line check between bands. I got a very decent tone using the Rock preset (Ampeg SVT simulation) as Callumjord & JTUK kindly suggested above.

I was impressed for what it was, given these are a relatively low budget amp. The only downside became apparent when I tried to move it. Coming in at nearly 90lbs I would not consider one of these for regular gigging. I'm afraid my advancing years have made me a Class D convert.