Why become a member? ×

August Composition Challenge - GET WRITING

Skol303

[color=#800000][size=5][b]August's Composition Challenge is now underway![/b][/size][/color]

[size=5]Here’s the image for your inspiration, chosen by yours truly… [/size]

[size=2]Photograph (c) green label. All rights reserved.[/size]

[size=5]Click on the 'Spoiler' button below to read the usual rules and caveats:[/size]

[spoiler]By entering the competition you agree to the Basschat Terms and Conditions and Forum Guidelines, which are designed to help ensure the forum remains free of offensive and/or illegal behaviour and material. In a nutshell:

[b]1) Please avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive[/b]. If your track contains explicit lyrics, for example, then please warn other forum users so they can choose for themselves whether to listen to it.

[b]2) Please make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds included in your track[/b] (ie. sounds that you have not recorded yourself, such as samples of other people's music). The owners of Basschat accept no responsibility for infringements of copyright or other forms of legal ownership, which are solely the responsibility of competition entrants. If we spot any breaches of copyright then your track will be removed from the competition.

[b]3) Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition[/b], taking inspiration from the photo provided. No cheating![/spoiler]

If you have any questions, just ask :)

[size=5][b][color=#800000]The deadline for entries is midnight on Wednesday 24th August.[/color][/b][/size]

Edited by Skol303

I'm about to start a new track with an old buddy of mine in Brooklyn, which I'm hoping to finish and enter into the Challenge this month. We'll see.

So for anyone interested to know, the photo is of Brooklyn (shot from a helicopter). Although it could just as easily be the surface of the Death Star at dusk...

Hope it floats your boat and have fun. Cheers :drinks:

ok, well i have something started. i was getting a punky vibe so i thought i would go with that. i am hopeful for the tune, should be considerably more lively than my usual fare. i am struggling a bit playing with a pick but i cant move my fingers fast enough to keep up. its been quite a while since i tried a pick and i cant get the damned thing to stay still. i will get there hopefully.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1470082423' post='3103203']Brooklyn was where Paul Chambers lived when he was in New York. Not that I am going in that direction ;)[/quote]
[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1470126823' post='3103348']it floats my boat, maybe i'll write "Empire City pt II" with some rapcore or something[/quote]

Good to hear from both of you Robs :)

[i]Empire City[/i]... indeed! Reminds me that we really should collaboration again soon.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1470188154' post='3103978']
Well, this is all [i]I've[/i] come up (or down..? :blush: ) with ...

[url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/bach-to-the-future"]Bach To The Future ...[/url]

Enjoy. B)
[/quote]

My goodness Doug, you're branching out into electronic dance music - and I like it!! Move over Giorgio Moroder, this is great.

But - ahem - may I remind you of something...
[color=#232323][font=Arial]
[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1459372939' post='3016007']It comes across, to me, as a heteroclite assembly of unconnected tones, glitches and effects, sewn together with thin, frayed lace. I can't find much in the way of saving grace so, sorry, I'll leave it there. All I'll say to finish is that I now feel older; much older.[/quote][/font][/color]
[color=#232323][font=Arial]
Whatever pills you've be taking since then, keep popping them my friend. Keep popping them :D[/font][/color]

So, your EDM-polluted neural system has not been able to unravel the encrypted messages in there..? Far from being meaningless or empty, there are musical clues throughout. One can even dance to it in several different rhythms without breaking a leg (or into a sweat..!). This is, essentially, very old musical forms brought up to date simply by the use of more modern sounds. The structure is, well, not exactly antediluvian, but certainly centuries old. Yes, even older than I, if that's not too difficult to imagine. Glad it struck a chord, though; you're making progress too, it would appear. :lol: :P
([i]Yes, but is it Jazz..?[/i] Hmm... hardly, old fruit; hardly... :mellow: )

Edited by Dad3353

Not what I expected from you Dad but I do like it!

I've been playing with my new Maschine MkII all week and I blooming love it. My first play around was almost my track for this month but then I had a hip-hop thing with piano stuck in my head so I knocked that out in around 2 hours (Maschine lets you get things down really quick) and I'm debating no whether to put that one in instead.

Got mine done. I went for the second piece that I did: https://soundcloud.com/mornats/brooklyn-two-one

I went with a basic slow hip-hop beat with some nice slow piano on two tracks. I find myself mixing Rain Piano MkII and Plastic Ghost Piano a lot these days. It creates a nice ethereal piano sound quite suited to cinematic style pieces. Miroslav Philharmonik played over tape hiss gives those sections of the track a nice authentic sampled feel, quite suited to the style of this track.

A word on Maschine. This thing is awesome. I put most of this together in around an hour using Maschine. This is only my second attempt using this hardware/software combination and so far it's a winner for me. Credit to the NI guy at PMT in Newcastle for demoing this and convincing me to buy it (totally forgot his name sorry!)

Instruments
-----------
Survival Drum Kit
Rain Piano MkII
Plastic Ghost Piano
Miroslav Philharmonik
Zero-G Etherea
Movie Dialogue Vol. 3
Broken Tape Kit

Effects
-------
Supercharger GT
Solid EQ
Passive EQ

All put together using Maschine MkII

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1470588186' post='3106924']
Got mine done. I went for the second piece that I did: [url="https://soundcloud.com/mornats/brooklyn-two-one"]https://soundcloud.c...rooklyn-two-one[/url]

...All put together using Maschine MkII
[/quote]

Nice track :)

Check our [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcJCxe1VSLA"]Jeremy Ellis on YouTube[/url] for lots of Maschine trickery... [i](he's a jazz pianist turned 'controllerist' - yes, that is a word!):[/i]

Edited by Skol303

ok, i got mine done as much as its going to be.

https://soundcloud.com/christofloffer/organised-chaos

i rather enjoyed this one. its not very complicated but its was fun to do. i found it rather nostalgic as it is much of what i was into when i was younger. i found it reasonably hard to play as i havent played with a pick much and not at any kind of pace for quite a long time. its really surprising the difference between using a pick on a guitar and a bass. either way, it was a refreshing change from my normal style and folks around here seem to like it so maybe you guys will too.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1470679591' post='3107617']Cheers! He's a bit good ain't he?[/quote]

Aye! Very talented chap. What I like about him is that he truly 'plays' Maschine like an instrument - no pre-recorded loops. What you hear is what's happening at his fingertips. Akin to the guys'n'gals who use [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sQLJ9E6tO8"]keyboard drumming[/url] to compose their beats, something I attempt myself from time to time.

[quote name='christofloffer' timestamp='1470734931' post='3107957']ok, i got mine done as much as its going to be.[/quote]

I like it! Sounds like it was a lot of fun to put together :)

Mine own track is underway... it's a collaboration that may eventually get released through a Creative Commons net-label ([url="http://blocsonic.com/"][color=#551A8B]blocSonic[/color][/url]), so it may take a little longer than usual to produce. If I miss the deadline then so be it - but I'll do my best!

[quote name='fingers211' timestamp='1470944882' post='3109580']
Well there seems to be something in the air this month, as I too have deviated somewhat from my comfortable zone...

https://soundcloud.com/nigel-jewell/brooklyne-stinker

Nige
[/quote]
Sswwweeeeeeeet :)

Good entries so far!

It's looking like I'm going to get mine finished in time. The bass part has been a complete PITA to record. One of those situations who you hear something in your head, but then realise you don't have the technical chops to actually play it!

The main riff has been fine to play, but there's a solo which I had to approach in stages by recording one or two bars at a time and then stitching everything together. Kinda cheating, but it was the only way I was going to avoid it sounding like mush.

And I like mush. But this was bad mush ;)

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1471352663' post='3112379']
i haven't even started yet... oops
[/quote]

Still time mate! I've cobbled together some of these challenge tracks in a couple of hours. Although they were admittedly at the crappier end of my repertoire :D

I've got a title, and 3 sections in my mind. Need to get something down, but my drumming chops aren't up to playing what I have in mind :(. Might have to get a proper drummer in to do it.
Won't be any singing this time either, as that didn't seem to go down that well with my last effort :)