Why become a member? ×

The best octave pedal and compression pedals available. ?

bubinga5

[quote name='Basszilla' timestamp='1471271000' post='3111687']
Cali76-tx for my vote
[/quote]

Definitely that, if you can afford it! If not, Seymour Duncan Studio Bass Comp is the best one I've found, it's versatile, and fattens up your tone without hurting it or making it sound unnatural. It has a blend function so you can mix your uncompressed signal with the effect, the result is that it ends up sounding natural and rich. The suggested presets give you good starting points, and they're all totally useable so there's no learning curve despite the versatility. Mine is on all the time for practice and recording, especially for fretless, it's working well for me.

The other comp I use is the Boss LMB3, but I use that purely to bring the dynamics under control on a pbass with quarter pounders (which have a massive low mid boost), because otherwise I'm either too quiet in the mix or clipping the signal when I dig in.

So I recommend SD Comp for versatility and tone improvement, and for much less money the LMB3 for bringing spikes under control, especially if you switch between techniques a lot, or play very dynamically.

Octavers - analogue I assume (so no POGs, Pitchforks): COG T65/16 without much competition. EBS Octabass is ok, so is the MXR if not COG. Boss OC2 if you like synthy octavers.

Compressors: Diamond, Keeley (the newer pro/GC2/Bassist), MXR M87 or Cali are all very good and easily available (unlike the FEAs that are great but hard to get a hold of).

I have the COG T65 and Keeley Compressor Pro on my board.

Edited by HazBeen

What's the tracking like on the MXR Octaves? How low can you go before it warbles? Which of the selection suggested above can head right down to the depths of the neck without giving out? Open E string territory (which I think I am right in saying won't be an analogue pedal - OC2 etc)

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1471281217' post='3111788']
What's the tracking like on the MXR Octaves? How low can you go before it warbles? Which of the selection suggested above can head right down to the depths of the neck without giving out? Open E string territory (which I think I am right in saying won't be an analogue pedal - OC2 etc)
[/quote]

Any analogue pedal will go 'exotic' below Ab/G. There were claims made the MXRs could go lower, they can’t.. I tried.

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1471281390' post='3111791']
Any analogue pedal will go 'exotic' below Ab/G. There were claims made the MXRs could go lower, they can’t.. I tried.
[/quote]

Excellent, thank you :) Would like to know which pedals can go low LOW without issue.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1471286988' post='3111883']

I had no problem at all getting hold of my FEA. I just asked them to build me one and they did.

I had to wait over a year to get it, but it was no problem getting one ;-)
[/quote]

Touche! ;)

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1471284755' post='3111860']

Excellent, thank you :) Would like to know which pedals can go low LOW without issue.
[/quote]

Dood, we'd be in POG territory. Tracks perfectly, but does sound a little digital without some overdrive or envelope. Ultimately the COG kicked the POG off my board.