Why become a member? ×

Diagnosing/valuing a bass

DanOwens

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1470302404' post='3104841']

500 quid for an abused G4M ply that probably cost less than 400 quid new :blink:
[/quote]

Yes, but in the seller's favour that's only about £1 per hour of abuse!

Worse, I think they're trying to suggest that the mods ADD value! Board planed flat..........

Checked out the pics. That's definitely a plywood Selmer. It would originally have come with an aluminium, 3 legged bridge; which Selmer thought made the bass louder. They were essentially big, boomy boxes built for the dance band era. I was given one some years ago by an old dude who came to a gig and wanted to pass on his old bass (hadn't played for decades). It was solid enough, I guess, but REALLY basic. No tone to speak of, just a big box. Neck was a curious triangular shape as well, so rather uncomfortable to play. For my purposes, I couldn't use it as a backup bass so I passed it on to a swing/slap type player.
It COULD be a solid enough bass if you spend way more than it'll eventually be worth fixing it up.... But I'd have to agree with other posters and advise you to look elsewhere.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1470291533' post='3104735']
And if you really want a project http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Bass-Upright-Bass-/322215251580?hash=item4b05868e7c:g:0nsAAOSwdzVXoJwr :)
[/quote]
Gawd, gotta love bedroom idiots...fixing the faulty fingerboard so it's properly flat and adding a BG pickup...
Reminds me of a gig-break conversation with a guitar teacher (allegedly) who'd been given a cello and wanted to thank the owner by posting a YouTube clip of him playing it. Six million dollar question was..."I want to tune it like a bass, should I use flatwound strings or would round wounds be ok?" Yup, wanted to stick bass guitar strings on it. Zero comprehension of why it wouldn't work on multiple levels. Sometimes one comes offstage straight into the Twilight Zone....

[quote name='The Jaywalker' timestamp='1470381650' post='3105550']
Gawd, gotta love bedroom idiots...fixing the faulty fingerboard so it's properly flat and adding a BG pickup...
Reminds me of a gig-break conversation with a guitar teacher (allegedly) who'd been given a cello and wanted to thank the owner by posting a YouTube clip of him playing it. Six million dollar question was..."I want to tune it like a bass, should I use flatwound strings or would round wounds be ok?" Yup, wanted to stick bass guitar strings on it. Zero comprehension of why it wouldn't work on multiple levels. Sometimes one comes offstage straight into the Twilight Zone....
[/quote]

I had a nightmare about that bass last night, specifically that i bought it :)

I don't see what the problem is ... it's gotta be worth £400 if only for the custom paint job. :blink:

I was particularly taken with the four countersunk screw holes down near the pickup, two of which contained screws. Quality will always shine through.

[quote name='JoeEvans' timestamp='1470295598' post='3104774']

This one is solid wood - compare the grain on the front to the one originally posted.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Old-Double-Bass-/322215269300?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2056016.l4276[/url]
[/quote]

Hey, this one has shot up since you posted the link - it's currently at £1,420. It does look like it has potential, and while I've no idea what it is, it's something different from the more ubiquitous German shop basses.

Just a shame about the shill bidding. Might not be, but everytime I've seen that pattern it has turned out to be. I used to like testing it by bidding it up and waiting for the second chance offer from the seller about 15 minutes after the auctions closed. Sellers can be really creative about the reasons for the 'high bidder' deciding to not pay, but it's always amusing that, when they relist the item, they allow the same bidder to keep bidding it up again!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1470402934' post='3105773']
Hey, this one has shot up since you posted the link - it's currently at £1,420. It does look like it has potential, and while I've no idea what it is, it's something different from the more ubiquitous German shop basses.
[/quote]
Yes - if it was near me I would have gone and had a look at it but not for £1400+. It's definitely interesting although the grain on the front is a bit rustic, and there's a bit scar on the back that needs examination.
For a while I thought that I could buy a good bass fairly cheap on eBay by very carefully shopping around the older basses that come up, but it's amazing how much people seem to be prepared to pay for something as complicated as a double bass without seeing it in person. When I bought my current bass I ended up going to Ben's place in Hildenborough (www.thedoublebassroom.com) just because that's about the only place the country where you can try a dozen or more basses that are very much the real thing.

[quote name='JoeEvans' timestamp='1470415774' post='3105893']
Yes - if it was near me I would have gone and had a look at it but not for £1400+. It's definitely interesting although the grain on the front is a bit rustic, and there's a bit scar on the back that needs examination.
For a while I thought that I could buy a good bass fairly cheap on eBay by very carefully shopping around the older basses that come up, but it's amazing how much people seem to be prepared to pay for something as complicated as a double bass without seeing it in person. When I bought my current bass I ended up going to Ben's place in Hildenborough (www.thedoublebassroom.com) just because that's about the only place the country where you can try a dozen or more basses that are very much the real thing.
[/quote]

Again, the shill bidding doesn't help does it :)

I don't think spending more than £200 on a bass you haven't seen in person is wise, no matter how promising it looks in photos. This is especially the case if the seller is clearly not a musician (and for some reason about 50% of DBs appear to be listed by the low end antiques/house-clearance/"was my dad's" type). But people still do. Go figure...?