Why become a member? ×

Martyn Bailey custom EUB
£3500

Up for sale is my custom made Martyn Bailey EUB. Martyn is one of the UK's top double bass luthiers, and I commissioned this one-off bass from him about four years ago. I was frustrated with the poor quality of so many commercially available EUB's on the market, so I asked Martyn to think of this project not so much about making a cheap, generic EUB (there are enough of those out there already) but more about deconstructing an actual acoustic double bass. He didn't disappoint!
This instrument is hand carved using only the finest woods available, and has a floating, spring loaded top, and even its own bass bar and mini sound post. It has Martyn's own high quality double bass tuners. Check out the flame on the neck too! (The shoulders are removable)
Simply put, it has the same high quality woods & components you would expect to see on a world class acoustic double bass. It comes with a custom made gig bag, a custom made stand, Pirastro Evah Pirazzi strings, a Fishman Full Circle pickup (my favourite double bass pickup) and a Fishman Pro EQ Platinum DI.
This bass has been previously advertised for £3,800, but the price has now been reduced to £3,250. An absolute bargain!
This really is the best EUB I've ever owned and played, however, due to a number of factors, including my first baby arriving in March 2017, it's time to finally move this bass on, along with some bass guitars from my collection. Incidentally, this bass and all the accessories cost me almost £7,000 so whoever buys this one will getting it at half the price!
It has been used on tour with Jools Holland (my regular gig) and in the studio on several of our albums, but it's still in superb condition. I can supply more pics, but here are a few to be going on with, including one with me and the bass in the recording studio with British soul singer-songwriter Laura Mvula. Any questions, or if you'd like to try the bass out, please feel free to get in touch!

Edited by Dave Swift

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Dave Swift' timestamp='1480172471' post='3182247']
Indeed it is Marc! Just need more space with my first baby due in March, so I'm selling this EUB and a number of my bass guitars.
Time for a change of priorities!
[/quote]

I know that feeling well Dave! What with a house to do up, a mortgage and my son being born - I ended up not playing at all
... for over 20 years :o However, thanks partly to my son taking up playing bass - I started again :)

GLWTS Dave - wish I could afford / had space for this

• 2 weeks later...

Good for you Marc! 👍
I was formally a trombone player, and when I took up double bass & guitar and then turned professional at 17, I was struggling to maintain playing all three instruments to a high level. (Time management was never my forte!) Eventually I decided to let the trombone go, and to focus just on bass. However, a few years ago I took up the trombone again, and now I love playing it for my own enjoyment without any pressure!
Having said that, I have recently done some sessions on it, and I did play it with Jack Bruce when he was playing bass on a radio show I did with him a few years back. Never too late to start up again!
Thanks Marc, it will be a shame to let my Martyn Bailey EUB go, but with the big life changes I have coming up, it's the right thing to do. And anyone who buys this bass will be getting the best EUB out there, and at less than half the cost of what I paid for it. An absolute bargain! 😉

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...