Why become a member? ×

Shock horror - Tiny Practice Amp - Roland Cube 10GX

Musicman20

I bought one of these last year but there seemed to be a power supply issue, and the store didn't have any left to exchange.

Trusty Amazon were selling them for pre-price rise and I watched their stock dwindle. This AM I was annoyed at not getting Harry Potter tickets so I've taken the plunge as we really do need a tiny practice amp for home.

Advantages -

1. Only 10W
2. Tiny/lightweight/headphone socket/aux in
3. Suitable for bass, guitar and electro acoustic - similar to the TC Toneprint, you simply change the three presets to whatever amp you want to use, and no doubt mine will be a Fender Blackface or Jazz Chorus guitar amp, Bass and Acoustic Guitar.

The other reason I've gone for one is that my partner has bought a lovely Gibson SG bass (she used to play bass way before I met her) and she wants to get back into it. The bass Is fantastic but she wanted something ultra small and quiet for noodling away when she gets time. Despite the fact my gigging amps do have a volume control, due to space, by the time they are hooked up and moved about, you've lost 20 mins, and then the 2x10 cabs are just too loud for an apartment....you have to go ultra quiet and you lose a lot.

I've tried one before with an elec guitar and pedals, and a bass, and you know what, for £90 it was pretty damn good. Much better than I'd ever expected.

Actually looks pretty cool for a little alternative to there other little bass amps, didn't know roland did a cube that's ok for bass and guitar. Saying that I do now some of the old cubes worked fine for multi instruments even when not advertised as such.

Hopefully arriving this week. Yes, despite looking around Amazon was again the cheapest with the most hassle free return policy, although it is sold by a music shop through Amazon, and the item is actually with Amazon at their warehouse.

I've rearranged my gear a fair bit recently and ditched a few big cabs that I just didn't need....a shame but I've got plenty of nice kit. I wanted something I could just plug in and play and take into any room for guitar, bass or acoustic. It was this or the Yamaha THR, which has now gone up to £250 from around £200, which is far too much for what I want it for. I don't need perfect tone, I just want a nice clean canvas for writing and trying new pedals etc.

Well that was a waste of time! For the first time in years, Amazon had issues with 'stock'. It was being fulfilled by Amazon, but a store was selling through them. E.g. Amazon send it out on their behalf. It's worked countless times with pedals.

I think as I caught the price before the rise, and I was showing stock, I am cynical that the store (not Amazon) wanted to go ahead with the transaction.

Nevermind. I need to see what other smaller options there are, that aren't insanely expensive.

I tried the Blackstar ID core Beam. Took it back as it was way too quiet and kinda tinny sounding to use in anything but a silent room. Had hoped to be able to use with band on acoustics and rehearse but was too quiet. Some nice features and looks cool though. Shame, I really wanted it.