Why become a member? ×

(Sorted) Gibson G3 Bridge saddle poles/pieces

MarkG3

So after doing some work on my G3 I've managed to lower the strings to a better position.

There was an old Gibson pick under the neck being used as a shim so I got that out.

It plays even better now. But the only problem is my hand is now getting pretty scratched up by the saddle poles sticking out loads on the top. What's the easiest and best way to sort this out? The E poles aren't original so use the Allen key to adjust unlike the other 3 which needs a flat head screwdriver.

Any advice would be great, thanks!

Edited by MarkG3

Sounds like shorter grub screws would do the trick. If they are m3 thread, I've got some nice stainless ones you can have. Alternatively you could take the saddle off, wind the screw down so it is flush with the top and either hacksaw, Dremel or file the other end off flush. Now as you adjust the saddle the head will be recessed. Job's a good un!

Try putting a smaller shim in the neck pocket - that will lessen the amount of height adjustment screw showing for the same string height.

If you make a custom shim that fits the entire neck pocket and tapers the desired amount you can get a stable joint with quite a few degrees neck angle change and /or a few mm of spacing to better set it up (e.g. with a different bridge than it was designed for). The only rule is that you increase screw length as needed - or risk a weaker joint.

Thanks everyone, I ended up getting a metal file from homebase and sanded down the bits down. Seems to have done the job, although the first one I did was upside down..... So I have been trying to make a bit of a groove in it so I can use a screwdriver like with the other saddle poles if I need to adjust it in the future