Why become a member? ×

Voodoo labs PP 2+ or Truetone 1 spot pro

Catalin

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]
Hello,[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]
I want to make my first pedalboard so i need a power supply. Which one of these would you recommend?[/font][/color][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]
My main concearn is noise filtering.[/font][/color][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]
The pedals i have for now are: Darkglass B7K ultra, Cali76 compact bass, DSM Noisemaker Omnicab sim, Korg Pitchblack and Line6 Relay G30.[/font][/color]

Because I'm putting off a job...

darkglass is 30ma
Cali76 is 78ma at 9V but you can run this at 18V if you want? Which would be 103ma
DSM Omnicab - they don't quote the power consumption, but I'm pretty sure I read on here that it's all analogue? So 100ma at the most
Korg quote 600ma for the pitchblack but that sounds over the top to me.
From what I can gather you want about 300ma for the line6

So, in total, you want a 9v supply that can do up to 1200ma, probably more like 1500ma. I wouldn't have thought you'll have many problems with noise. IME daisychaining from one high quality PSU has been fine, but I know others like isolated outputs

There are loads to choose from. I use a Godlyke Powerall with a daisy chain which is great.

The two you've suggested should be fine, but the spec on the Voodoo one does seem a little underwhelming. If the "high current" sockets can really only do up to 250ma, the Pitchblack might struggle to work.

It looks like they can both do 18V so you could test your Cali76 both ways

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1470675051' post='3107558']
600ma isn't over the top for a digital pedal.
I would suggest getting a 1spot, a gigrig isolator, and a daisy chain. Use the daisy chain to connect the isolator and the korg, then plug the rest into the isolator.
That way you have alot of room for expansion.
[/quote]

600ma is over the top for a tuner.

Most digital pedals run at about 400ma?

Could get a voodoo lab 4x4. Or maybe a CIOKS DC8?

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1470675051' post='3107558']
600ma isn't over the top for a digital pedal.
I would suggest getting a 1spot, a gigrig isolator, and a daisy chain. Use the daisy chain to connect the isolator and the korg, then plug the rest into the isolator.
That way you have alot of room for expansion.
[/quote]

What's the point of the isolator there?

Also, wouldn't you have a load of spare plugs on the daisy chain? I hate that and always have to tape them up out of the way

The Truetone CS-7 looks the better of the two. If everything's 9V then it should run fine off a simple regular OneSpot... but digital pedals can add noise onto a daisy chain, so I would hit google to see if there are any noise issues with people running a G30 without isolated power.

It always seems a bit random to me. I always daisy chained my DD-20 with a load of analogue dirt pedals and it was fine. I switched one of the dirt pedals for a Stone Deaf PDF-1 and suddenly I'm getting a weird beeping noise in time with the L.E.Ds on the DD-20!! Put the PDF-1 on another supply and it's fine. Weird!

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='nash' timestamp='1470743393' post='3108055']
If you can power something with a 9V battery it doesn't pull 600ma. More like 60ma
[/quote]

Indeed.

I just checked and the manual clearly states "maximum 30mA"

[url="http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/259/1825/"]http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/259/1825/[/url]

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1470744806' post='3108068']
Indeed.

I just checked and the manual clearly states "maximum 30mA"

[url="http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/259/1825/"]http://www.korg.com/...ual/0/259/1825/[/url]
[/quote]

weird! I don't know where it says that but this is from the same manual:

[quote name='nash' timestamp='1470729829' post='3107903']
600ma is over the top for a tuner.

Most digital pedals run at about 400ma?

Could get a voodoo lab 4x4. Or maybe a CIOKS DC8?
[/quote]
Okay, i thought it was their multiFX, shows how much i know about korg gear…
and my digital effects (other than bitcrushers, which are basically just ADDA converters) range from 450ma to 1200ma.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1470732915' post='3107936']
What's the point of the isolator there?

Also, wouldn't you have a load of spare plugs on the daisy chain? I hate that and always have to tape them up out of the way
[/quote]

Its there to isolate the power to each pedal to reduce noise. Its not essential, but it can save you a lot of headaches down the line.

I see, I was a bit confused, I thought it'd have one output but I just looked it up. Cool!

I've never gone down the isolated route. I was once told that for minimum noise you need a shared ground, and I figured you get that with a daisy chain. I'll have to check out the gig rig stuff when I'm next suffering noise problems

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1470745203' post='3108070']
weird! I don't know where it says that but this is from the same manual:

[/quote]

It says on the manual, in the link I posted.
Here's the relevant bit:

The 600mA refers only to the specs of the AC adaptor they sell, not what the pedal requires.
Weird would be a tuner requiring 600mA!

If you want to use the 'out' of the tuner to power other pedals, then the supply would have to be larger, in order to power the pedal and whatever is linked to it. I suspect that's why you see a 600mA supply, because they illustrate you can add other pedals etc. Always go directly to the specs page, as diagrams are often misleading/incorrect.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1470747068' post='3108100']

Okay, i thought it was their multiFX, shows how much i know about korg gear…
and my digital effects (other than bitcrushers, which are basically just ADDA converters) range from 450ma to 1200ma.
[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, what digital pedals do you have that pull that much power?

I can't think of anything that would pull that much apart from maybe a Line 6 Helix and Boss ES8. Even the big Strymons only pull 300ma tops.