Why become a member? ×

My bass voyage so far....

Thud

Hi bass chums!
I've picked up the bass a little late in life, I've been a mature student for a few years and find myself with long summers and no money so this year I borrowed an unused and unloved bass off a mate and set about the job of learning how to play it. I've played a bit of guitar and ukelele so I've picked up the basics quite quickly and can now play along with a few songs on YouTube, which I love doing! A fellow student plays guitar and we have an occasional get together so my enthusiasm is sky high. I've enjoyed reading the forum and have a couple of things I could use some advice about....
In a couple of weeks I'm going away for a fortnight, I'll be camping but will have loads of free time to practice so I could do with recommended tuition books to take. I will have a phone with Bluetooth speaker so can listen to music but I won't have internet access so online resources are no use unless there's PDFs or something I can print out and take. I have a Roland micro cube guitar amp that runs on batteries, will that be OK to use at low volume for three or four hours a day? Would I need to use headphones? Do those gadgets that let you play through your phone work? Also, any suggestions for things to practice, I usually try to do a few scales until I feel my fingers warming up then do some song practice (playing along with YouTube) then a bit of noodling.
Thanks in anticipation.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out Scott Devine's site - http://www.scottsbasslessons.com/bass-academy - loads of lessons for players of all levels - you'll definitely find something to inspire you and fill the time you'll have...probably find that you need even more free time once you've had a good look round.

Welcome to the forum...