Why become a member? ×

volume knob mod... help?

GisserD

Hello fellow chatters,

i have a very limited knowledge of electronics, and i need some help, so i thaught id ask round here for some advise

i have a pedal that has a gain and volume knob, however when the gain is right up, (which is where i like it) the volume knob dusnt go low enough to achieve unity. Is there a simple mod i can make to the volume pot to achive a lower volume???

the pedal in question is the Moog MF boost

alternatively a small inline "set and forget" volume pot in line might do the trick as im using a looper so it could be permanently on? but i cant find one of those

any help greatly appreciated

thanks in advance.

A preset 'volume pot in a box' might be your best bet - it's non-invasive, and won't reduce the resale value of your pedal if you decide to sell it on at a later date.

I'd go for an Audio Taper pot and take the output of the pedal (the tip of the 1/4" jack lead to the centre lug (there are 3); this is the bit that carries the signal. The Left hand side lug (looking at the back of it) should go to the output of the 'pot in a box', and the other lug (right hand side) should be connected to ground (the bit that connects to the barrel of the 1/4" jack lead).

I'll have a look-see to see if I can find a diagram

Thanks,
although i have been told that a passive volume pot in series like this can be a tone suck and take some highs from the signal. i really have no intention of selling the pedal, and its going to be used as an always on pedal, so tone loss is not an option.

is there any mod i can make to the existing pedal volume pot?

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1470902297' post='3109191']
In the blurb for the MF Boost on the Moog website it says that the Level control 'does not go completely off' which sounds like part of the problem.

I'd contact Moog tech support and see if they can suggest anything - [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]
[/quote]

quite right, the pot only reduces volume. but not to 0

that sir is a good idea :)

There will be a way to do it; altering the value of one resistor at the output stage (assuming it's either an opamp or transistor buffer) will do it, but without seeing a schematic it's incredibly difficult to know which one. I'd contact Moog too. ;)