Why become a member? ×

repairing Columbus EB3 copy

barryman

I have just got a Columbus MIJ bass which is a 1970's copy of a Gibson SG/EB3. The neck has got an area where the paint has obviously splintered and lifted, leaving a shallow recess. Any ideas what to fill it with prior to respraying the area?? I was going to strip the bass back to wood but it's not in as bad condition bodywise as I thought so I think I can live with the slighly roadworn look. However, the back of the neck does need seeing to.

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of a wiring diagram. There seems to be a problem in that the selector switch gives sound from the up & middle positions but in the "down" position no sound comes out. I presume the 4 pots are volume and tone for each of the two pickups. Any guidance will be appreciated.

[attachment=225142:IMG_201.jpg][attachment=225143:IMG_2016.jpg]

Edited by barryman

Do you get any difference in sound between the two positions that work? The middle position should be both pickups together, which probably means that there is either a problem with one pickup or its associated wiring. A good photograph of the inside of the control cavity clearly showing all the wires will help.

I have added a photo of the current wiring layout as best as I can.
Re the two pickups the neck pickup is ok with switch up, the bridge pickup makes a sound (albeit not as loud) when tapping it with switch in middle position, but nothing makes a sound when switch in bottom position.

For the neck, I'd sand with 400 to smooth the edges of the remaining finish then just build up layers of finish to fill the void (shoot just that area a few times first). Though after you've smoothed it out it may not bother you enough to warrant respraying.

That's all assuming it's fairly minor (as it seems in the pic) and not missing actual wood. If it's missing wood get some system 3 epoxy, mix up, apply to the neck then stick masking tape over it to keep it to the shape of the neck and prevent running. Then respray.

For the wiring a Les Paul diagram should get you very close. Id test the bridge pickup with a multimeter first though.

Edited by Manton Customs