Why become a member? ×

not quite NBD: Matt Freeman Precision to Jazz conversion

mcnach

It's not quite a NBD because I already owned this bass and have used it enough... but it's undergone a radical transformation.

I like the Jazz bass sound, but I'm not a big fan of the large body or the thin neck. I had this Precision which was pretty sweet, great neck, but a bit 'surplus to requirements' and I thought I could put a couple of Jazz pickups on it and see what happens.

I happened to have a couple of Nordstrand NJ4SE pickups, and I gave the job to Chris McIntyre. I collected it today.

This was before:

(the one on the left)

I replaced the pickguard with a parchment colour one, but I can't find pictures of it... oh, and a sticker of the logo of my band :ph34r:

I had the Jazz pickups installed as on a 60s spacing Jazz, and instead of VVT controls I have a master tone, master volume and a pan control. The jack socket was moved to the side. And this is what it looks like now:

the 'sofa shot' ;)

It sounds... like a Jazz with these Nordstrand pickups: not exactly traditional Jazz territory, but clearly Jazz... yet with a much nicer sized body and a bigger and more comfortable (for me) neck.

I don't know why I didn't do this before instead of buying so many Jazz basses over the years :lol:

Funny how good a Precision with J-PUPs looks, especially when compared to a Jazz with a P-PUP, which just looks wrong. That's a very elegant looking bass. I've always been convinced that a significant part of the P-Bass tone is in the neck (having played Precision neck on Jazz bodies and vice-versa), so I'm looking forward to hearing your views on how that sounds compared to a 'proper' Jazz. Either way, lovely looking bass, good work.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1470695837' post='3107806']
Funny how good a Precision with J-PUPs looks, especially when compared to a Jazz with a P-PUP, which just looks wrong. That's a very elegant looking bass. I've always been convinced that a significant part of the P-Bass tone is in the neck (having played Precision neck on Jazz bodies and vice-versa), so I'm looking forward to hearing your views on how that sounds compared to a 'proper' Jazz. Either way, lovely looking bass, good work.
[/quote]

I'm sceptical about the neck contributing significantly to a P-tone... but I'm also one of those infidels who don't think the difference between maple and rosewood fingerboards is significant ;)

So, what this one sound like? It's hard because those pickups are not the most traditional Jazz pickups ever. They are humbuckers and unlike other humbucking Jazz pickups I don't think they particularly tried to reproduce a traditional Jazz bass sound.
I had them on a 75RI Jazz, and I'd say it sounds pretty similar to that bass with the same pickups. I'm still playing a bit with the pickup heights, which affects the sound (especially both pickups on) a lot. This bridge pickup is very meaty and it's not very much like a standard Jazz pickup. It's fatter, with less top end and less of that nasal tone. The neck pickup is a bit tamer than a standard neck pickup in a Jazz: it sounds big, but doesn't have the prominent midrange that many Jazz neck pickups have and help them resemble a Precision. Together you get the traditional scooped sound, and I've been adjusting the relative heights so that it's not quite as scooped.
So... because these pickups are not the most Jazz-alike, it's not exactly a Jazz, but it does sound a lot like my old 75RI used to sound with them.
I think I'll end up installing another more traditional pickup eventually.

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1470944374' post='3109575']
Looks a while differently new bass. I quite like it but I'd have P/J confit for me ;)

BSB
[/quote]

That would have been the simplest option, but I already have the Jake P/JJ and the point was having a Jazz in a more comfy package than... a Jazz :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1470947203' post='3109593']

That would have been the simplest option, but I already have the Jake P/JJ and the point was having a Jazz in a more comfy package than... a Jazz :)
[/quote]

I have a P/J as well but I think the BB is inbetween the Precision and Jazz so does me well. I think a precision body and jazz pickups is quite cool though.

• 2 months later...

As much as I used to love the Nordstrand NJ4SE pickups on my 75RI Jazz, I was not 'loving it' here. My favourite Jazz pickups are the DiMarzio Area J humbuckers. I have them on a very cheap Squier Jazz and I love the sound... so I was thinking maybe I should try those on the MF Jazz, until I found out they're also available with cream coloured pickup covers. Then I stopped thinking and I KNEW I had to get a pair. Of pickups, Discreet, of pickups! ;)

They arrived on Tuesday, and finally this evening I removed the Nordstrands and installed the Area J. I happened to have a set of cream coloured Jazz bass knobs, so I used those too.

I like the sound a lot more now. And it looks pretty classy too :)

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1477062319' post='3159636']
That's a great looking conversion Jose. Was it an expensive mod to have done?
[/quote]

It could have cost a lot less, but I was lazy ;)

Just routing the bridge pickup and cutting a new pickguard is not that expensive. I added cost because I let him route also the hidden neck pickup (I could have easily done it myself as it doesn't matter of it's not pretty), and I decided to have the output socket moved to the side (so extra routing, plus new socket), and had him wire it too. All stuff I could have done if I could be bothered, but I just wanted to play the thing :lol:

I went for volume / blend / tone. I regret that. I will rewire it volume / volume / tone. I don't know what it is, but with the blend control it feels like it doesn't sound "right". I had this on a Jazz I briefly converted to V/B/T and turned it back to V/V/T... but I had forgotten about it. I guess all the controls are interactive to some degree and to get "the" Jazz sound you really need the VVT configuration.

Interesting about the volume/blend/tone layout. As I've mostly played active basses with this layout I'd prefer it on my passive Jazz... but I have read, like you say, it's not the same... so I guess I'll leave it volume/volume/tone.
Fabulous bass, by the way.