Why become a member? ×

not quite NBD: Matt Freeman Precision to Jazz conversion

mcnach

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1477077541' post='3159784']
Interesting about the volume/blend/tone layout. As I've mostly played active basses with this layout I'd prefer it on my passive Jazz... but I have read, like you say, it's not the same... so I guess I'll leave it volume/volume/tone.
Fabulous bass, by the way.
[/quote]

Well, you can try it and see. It's completely reversible and easy to do. It's not like it sounds like an entirely different instrument... but there is a difference. You might prefer it! If not... undo it. :)

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1477078559' post='3159790']
That is a really, really interesting project. Would love an under-the-pickguard shot of the routing. I really like the jack socket relocation as well.

I think Fender are missing a trick not having something like this in their range...
[/quote]

When I get around to changing the controls to VVT I'll take a couple of pictures.

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1477227751' post='3160682']
Is the Matt Freeman neck the same as on my CV 70s Squier (bar the block inlays)? I love mine. Always thought I was a jazz neck guy until I got the CV.
[/quote]

Possibly.
I never tried the CV 70s... is it very different from the CV60s? I had a Fiesta Red one and this is not very different. It's slightly less deep (chunky) than most Precisions, and not terribly wide (maybe 42mm?) but it feels great even if I normally would go for bigger necks than this.

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1477669727' post='3163783']
I *think* the CV 60s and 70s are very similar. 70s has block inlays and an ashtray cover. Neck is less baseball bat like than older Precisions but I'm usually a Jazz man. I really like it, it's quite slim whilst not as narrow as a Jazz.
[/quote]

sounds about right!

I used the bass for last night's gig: MF Jazz + MarkBass LM3 + BF Two10 cab... loved it!
I found a spot just off the centre detent on the blend knob, slightly towards the bridge pickup, that sounds just perfect. I might keep the blend control after all. By chance, that spot seems to be located with the dial aiming at a pickguard screw, so that's quite useful too. :)

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1477669727' post='3163783']
I *think* the CV 60s and 70s are very similar. 70s has block inlays and an ashtray cover. Neck is less baseball bat like than older Precisions but I'm usually a Jazz man. I really like it, it's quite slim whilst not as narrow as a Jazz.
[/quote] I have both of these basses and the Matt has a slightly bigger feel to the neck (more rounded)