Why become a member? ×

No rig

Kevin Dean

http://youtu.be/ITrXkhACbuY

http://youtu.be/Dz_obaOa0Rg

Perhaps what I should have said was a versatile mixer rather than a quality one? I use a bass head that was over a grand new (not that I paid that) but it's not going to touch the mixer for eq possibilities.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1471435437' post='3113023']
Didn't want to be boring and list my outboard, but do have fx, etc. Most mixers have 4 band eq - less than many heads (mine has 6), so not always the case.
[/quote]

Uh-oh. We're going to need a bigger table.

You must be carrying a lot of outboard if you are competing with a digital mixer. And you've got a compressor and gate for every channel?

Anyway, give a bass player 6 bands of EQ, that's 6 more knobs for them to twiddle with aimlessly whilst not understanding whats going on.

Agreed, Pete. Same result, different routes to achieving it.

EBS Freak - where did I say I could "compete with digital"? I didn't. I carry a modest outboard rack - couple of graphics, couple of multi FX and a couple of stereo compressors. It more than does the job. One rarely needs to compress more than 4 voices/instruments and you can always group things like backing singers or brass sections. Global eq is taken care of by the DSPs in the PA.

The point I was making about eq was that most desks have fixed/shelving low and high frequency eq and two sweepable mids, ranging between about 50hz and 12 kHz - around 6 octaves. The Q/bandwidth of the mids will be wide as a result and unsuited to making subtle adjustments to a bass. Even a digital desk with typically 4 sweepable bands of eq covering the entire frequency spectrum will not be ideal.

The eq on a dedicated bass head/pre-amp will have half a dozen or so turnover frequencies (more if it has a graphic) which will be concentrated at lower frequencies better suited to a bass and will be more usable as a result. That's the reason, incidentally, that I replaced my EBS head (I note you're a fan). Effectively, it had low and high frequency eq and one sweepable mid - not a lot of use, especially as I had to use it to get rid of the built in peak EBS seems to build into all its products (presumably to make them sound bright and in yer face and give them sales appeal in the showroom). I could never get a less than aggressive sound from it.

Have a nice day.

Edited by Dan Dare

All the Q bands are adjustable on the xair stuff or failing that insert a 31 band eq into one of the slots and use that in conjunction with the eq or with a flat eq set, the 100 band real time analyser can be displayed on your iPad during the gig if you really wanted it too, this is all before you insert a bass amp fx into the rack. I think I read somewhere that the bass amp processing is the same as the bddi which is a copy of a sansamp possibly in the x32 model only, tbh I've never needed it. Each channel has compression and a gate or again you can insert a compressor of your choice.

We are already up to an estate car full of kit here without the digital mixer which has another 30 plus fx units built in, stereo 31 band eq, dual channel guitar amps, reverbs etc etc etc it's the future :D

I have put a normal 12 way desk in the kit bag for emergencies, typical bass player,the digital one is so small I might as well.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1471277765' post='3111757']
I'd take a decent preamp a least - the average mixing desk eq won't cut it for your bass. I agree with others' suggestions to take a combo.
[/quote]The Roland GR55 has very powerful tone control , but I will carry my Zoom b3 for back up , I was going to use my ashdown 12 band pedal but I just don't need it .

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1471345066' post='3112269']
I do exactly this but with a VB99 which is almost the same thing. I have a small Ashdown ABM 1x10 combo next to me and sometimes also IEM support. It's terrific!

There's so much to learn with the GK systems but I really enjoy playing with things and getting my patches nailed. It's nice to know that once set up you can plug and play. It's worth spending the time getting to know how to work it all. I may be able to help if you have any specific questions?

Cheers
[/quote] The Gr55 is very impressive , I have one problem on one patch that might not be possible using just one lead , I use a synth sound for a intro & hold the last note using the CTL when the bass line kicks in , using two separate leads I can phase the synth sound in & out with the expression pedal but I can't using just one lead .I can however if using one of the on board bass sounds .so I'm trying to phase the held note in & out without it effecting the bass .

Hm you may have played with that side of things more than me then... on the VB99 I can 'hold' a note using the D-Beam thingy but I haven't tried phasing it in and out. Have you tried the Vguitar forums, there are some very knowledgeable chaps on there. Often it takes me a few days to get my head around their answers!

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1471776372' post='3115726']
Hm you may have played with that side of things more than me then... on the VB99 I can 'hold' a note using the D-Beam thingy but I haven't tried phasing it in and out. Have you tried the Vguitar forums, there are some very knowledgeable chaps on there. Often it takes me a few days to get my head around their answers!

Cheers
ped
[/quote] OK thanks , I'll try them .