Why become a member? ×

Saying hello

josie

Hello all - I've been lurking for a while, and it seemed time to introduce myself.

My bass guitar story so far: I wanted to play bass when I was 14, but my parents laughed at me and told me I could never be any good. I believed them. Children believe poisonous sh*t like that. For 45 years I would come home from gigs and cry because I wanted to play bass and I couldn't.

Finally two years ago I got angry with the demons of self-disbelief, and went to Promenade Music in Morecambe Bay (train ride up from Manchester) to buy a bass guitar. Tried a few and then they handed me a 2nd hand GMR Bassforce 5. Instant love. It has been hard learning something completely new at my age, still fighting the demons, but that guitar will not let me give up. And I have an excellent teacher - Andy Rees - highly recommended if you're in the Stockport area.

So now I'm playing a few local pub open mics with whoever asks (so I play a lot of cheesy stuff - but my real love is the blues) and I'm developing a solo bass / vocal voice. My high point has been jamming with Victor Brox - the grandfather of British blues, worked with Jimi Hendrix and still a powerful, and generous, musician.

Gear (yes I admit to GAS):
GMR Bassforce 5, London, c. 2010 - the love of my life, my detachable body part
Fender Jazz Plus 5, USA 1992 - a bit of a monster, much harder to play, but we'll get there (also from Prom Music)
Vintage acoustic 4-string - useful for going round to friends who inexplicably don't own a bass amp, and has a distinctive resonance
Encore P-bass clone - lives in the office so I can noodle around when I have a break from work
Marshall MB15

Thank you for reading. Looking forward to being part of the community.

Hello, I used to live near Stockport (Bramhall) and started playing bass when there in the 70s. I knew Victor Brox as well, a proper musician of the old school, good to hear he's still with us and still playing. And, 40 years later, I am still playing in a blues band!

Keep doing what you're doing, and as I used to tell my daughters, never let anyone tell you can't do something just because it's "not done'.

Welcome to the world of bass and welcome to the forum.
Shame your parents put you off all those years back, but you are here at last
Don't worry about being an "older learner" - I had a 20+ year break from playing :o
So when I came back, I was basically starting from scratch again, and of a "certain age"

Just enjoy your playing, keep doing it, and keep playing live music with other people - doesn't matter if some of it seems "cheesy" at times. As long as you are enjoying playing, and others are enjoying playing music with you :)

Edited by Marc S

Thanks all. Yes, it's good to still be on a journey.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1470814814' post='3108573']
I knew Victor Brox as well, a proper musician of the old school, good to hear he's still with us and still playing.
[/quote]

Yes, Victor is very much still with us. I've seen him pack a hall at the big Colne blues festival, and play to three drunks and a damp dog in a local pub, and he brings the same power and joy to both. Currently touring France with Kyla (the best blues voice in the country if not the world right now). Inspirational.

Welcome aboard Josie, I hope you find the encouragement you deserve on this forum. Don't forget to head over to the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/forum/31-theory-and-technique/"]Theory and Technique[/url] section - it will do more to improve your playing than GASing over gear!

Welcome to BC!

Your story is similar to mine. I was put off by a wife and put it down and never touched it again for 26 years.

I came back at the age of 50 and not looked back. I've still never gigged, but loving it.

In your case, I guess, it was considered not girly enough. There are a growing number of women playing bass. Good on you!!