Why become a member? ×

Should it stay or go? - EDIT - IT HAS GONE!

Musicman20

I hope I'm not breaking the rules. This is NOT a for sale thread or a 'how much is it worth' thread.

I've recently sold BOTH of my big heavy Orange cabs. I didn't miss the 4x10, but I kinda miss the 1x15 as it was a lovely sounding cabinet.

I do not miss the weight or the sheer amount of space they took up.

I don't at this point need any more cabs. I've got others that are lighter, smaller, and more efficient. But, I may change my mind!

The thing is, I still have the AD200b amp head. It sound absolutely stunning. There is nothing like it. It's just sat there though. I think 9 time out of 10, i'll just take a lightweight amp.

Should I give up on the all tube sound and weight, free up a bit of cash and space, or should I keep it because I'll have to pay more if I wanted one again down the road.

Hmmmmm

------------------------

See below..it has gone!

Edited by Musicman20

I'm not familiar with the AD200b myself. I have a few amp heads (for playing DB / BG and in different bands and different venue types). My choice these days is to opt for flexibility, and keep my rig as lightweight as possible.
EDIT: One of my amp heads is an Orange Terror 550, and I love it

Try a few cabs out, when & where you can. I think lightweight, compact gear has got so much better lately
Are there any Basschat meetings anywhere near you? You might want to pop along, show your support and check out what gear other BC members have brought along..... We had a meet at Cardiff recently, hosted by Gelfin. We did an interesting comparison of lightweight cabs

Good luck in your search for new cabs. Don't rush in to buying anything just yet - try out as many as you can

Edited by Marc S

I've been there a lot in the last two years (having sold three big Ampeg rigs). Sell it mate. I bought a very nice preamp (REDDI) that I run either into the PA or the desk. Tube heft/grunt/tone is lovely but it ain't the be all and end all.

I used to own an Ampeg SVT 2 Pro. I dearly loved it. It did exactly what I needed and never let me down. Recorded tone was always brilliant, even via DI. It did feel like lugging a dead horse around. My back agreed. The SVT left. I replaced it with an SVT Pro all valve preamp running in to a Powersoft D Class power amp - and to be be honest, cranked, there wasn't a great deal of difference in tone, especially in a band situation. (Powersoft is a different beast when it comes to D Class though!) So that's an option to save weight.

I'm running a similar set up these days but the valves have left. A serious weight saving and everything still sounds big.

My deciding factor is this: If I really wanted another SVT, then I can go buy one. Tomorrow. If I bizarrely sold my Shuker, it would take a huge amount of effort and there's a lead time to get another. I'd be in for a long wait and I couldn't get one second hand. - So, if it's something that you can buy another of, then you are safe to let it go (at the cost of realising you made a mistake!) There's always an alternative too.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1470834649' post='3108804']
Keep it, if only to hide it away and appreciate in value.
[/quote]

Do you think it will? I mean, I bought my SVT for a steal at the time for £1400, I couldn't sell it for £800 as the D Class revolution had taken hold.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1470834707' post='3108806']
My deciding factor is this: If I really wanted another SVT, then I can go buy one. Tomorrow. If I bizarrely sold my Shuker, it would take a huge amount of effort and there's a lead time to get another. I'd be in for a long wait and I couldn't get one second hand. - So, if it's something that you can buy another of, then you are safe to let it go (at the cost of realising you made a mistake!) There's always an alternative too.
[/quote]

Yep, that's my thinking. If I get offered a gig that needs an SVT, I'll just get one :)

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1470834649' post='3108804']
Keep it, if only to hide it away and appreciate in value.
[/quote]

Really? They're not exactly hard to come by and seem to sell 2nd hand for the standard 60% (ish) of retail.

Sadly, I think you are right....it should go. The solid state/class D amps I use are much cheaper to run, easier to use, and it doesn't matter if I have a few because of the cost.

This gentle giant needs to be used. However, I think if it does go I may invest in an Orange OB1-500 as its much smaller/lighter and cheaper.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1470839950' post='3108856']
Wait 20 years, when valves have gone the way of the dodo.
[/quote]

Will they, though? It seems there was a period of uncertainty from the mid 80's to some time into the 90's when US and western Europe stopped production, but if anything they seem to have undergone a resurgence since then. It's not just Russia and China either - JJ are successfully making them in Europe under all of the environmental restrictions that go with that. So I would be surprised if they disappear within my lifetime.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1470835151' post='3108810']
Yep, that's my thinking. If I get offered a gig that needs an SVT, I'll just get one :)
[/quote]

"Cash allowing" of course... I'm bust trying to sell stuff ha ha!!!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1470841717' post='3108873']
Will they, though? It seems there was a period of uncertainty from the mid 80's to some time into the 90's when US and western Europe stopped production, but if anything they seem to have undergone a resurgence since then. It's not just Russia and China either - JJ are successfully making them in Europe under all of the environmental restrictions that go with that. So I would be surprised if they disappear within my lifetime.
[/quote]The only use for them is in amps. As demand for valve amps goes down prices on valve amps and valves will continue to rise, further reducing demand, further reducing production, further increasing price in a literal death spiral. That can only make vintage valve gear, or at least what will be vintage someday, appreciate in value.
A comparison can be drawn to Fairchild valve compressors, the studio standard of the 60s and 70s. After SS took over the compressor market studios literally tossed Fairchilds into the trash bin. Now those which remain command the same price as a very nice car. For instance:
http://www.analoguetube.com/#!Vintage-Fairchild-670-For-Sale-44000/c1czm/5576e3fc0cf2312d79783c31

I doubt that valve amps will appreciate that much, but one never knows. .

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1470842855' post='3108890']
The only use for them is in amps. As demand for valve amps goes down prices on valve amps and valves will continue to rise, further reducing demand, further reducing production, further increasing price in a literal death spiral. That can only make vintage valve gear, or at least what will be vintage someday, appreciate in value.
A comparison can be drawn to Fairchild valve compressors, the studio standard of the 60s and 70s. After SS took over the compressor market studios literally tossed Fairchilds into the trash bin. Now those which remain command the same price as a very nice car. For instance:
[url="http://www.analoguetube.com/#!Vintage-Fairchild-670-For-Sale-44000/c1czm/5576e3fc0cf2312d79783c31"]http://www.analoguet...cf2312d79783c31[/url]

I doubt that valve amps will appreciate that much, but one never knows. .
[/quote]

There is a larger range of affordable valve amps on the market now than there was 10 years ago, so I'm simply not seeing that decline in demand happening as yet. Valve manufacturing has transitioned from being the bread-and-butter business of large electronic corporations to being a more niche industry catered to by smaller companies, but it would appear to be in reasonable health.
It's a somewhat different scenario to the example of valve studio gear. When newer solid state compressors came in, they were considered superior in all respects and the characteristic sound of the valve gear was regarded as a shortcoming. In guitar and bass amplification, most solid state products are designed with the explicit goal of emulating valve equipment, as those qualities are considered to be desirable. The fact that so much solid state equipment is advertised on the strength of it's resemblance to a valve amp serves to demonstrate that valve amps are still regarded as aspirational products, and consolidates their place in the market.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

Having done studio work during that period my first hand experience was that studios dumped most of the valve gear because they didn't want to be perceived as having fallen behind the technology curve. This was during the same period when they were changing to 16 and more track tape decks and consoles that were designed for the studio, rather than broadcasting. There was a 'clean sweep' attitude, and to their later regret many a perfectly good baby ended up tossed out with the bath water.

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1471451698' post='3113164']
Hiho,just use it or try out a Terror 500,swear by mine.
I do like the OBC115 as well.I use one with my Terror and a SP212 or both.
[/quote]

The Terror isn't made anymore unfortunately. The OBC115 was lovely but not the easiest to move. I decided just to sell all of the Orange cab setup. I've got other lighter/smaller cabs that work excellently.

I've owned a few big heavy amps, especially loved my early SVTII non-pro but simply too much to carry.

I'm now using a Jule Monique Dove Cage - gives me as close as I can get to a classic valve tone but, by pairing with a lighter weight power amp, it's easily transportable :)

Of course, part of the joy of the classic valve head was the hefty power stage so that's missing but the Jule really is something else and makes me smile every time I turn it on!

Valve amps won't go away for a long long time.
Why? Because of human nature for the past, gear freaks, geeks etc etc.
It will eventually be a niche market like buying a harp maybe or some other traditional instrument. Right up until there really is no money to be made.

And to the op. If you love something like you said then only sell if 1. You really need the money for whatever reason 2. Its not getting used in any capacity and you can't see it being used in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have interest in it locally and I'm sat here thinking 'will I miss it?'

To be honest...I have too many bass amps...and I don't use it due to the size/weight.

But, it is a fantastic amp.

If it does go I think I'll use the money for guitar related gear and effects...I really do need to work on having less bass related amps and cabs.

Edited by Musicman20

Well that was unexpected. A very friendly and honest chap came along after seeing it on Gumtree of all places and had a test, and paid exactly what I wanted for it!

I did think I might get a few low ball offers from others before hand, but nope.

Oh well. The last moments of carrying it down a few flights of stairs with him is definitely helping me think I made the right decision.