Why become a member? ×

Fretless Precision Neck recommendations

Ruiner

Hello,

Looking to dip my toe into the world of fretless and have decided the cheapest way to get a feel for it is to buy a reasonably priced fretless neck to put on my backup bass.

Has to be precision spec and either rosewood/ebanol/ebony. Not bothered if lined or not as long as it has side dots.

I know mighty mite do such a model, as do Warmoth, but wondered if anybody had any first hand experience with any of the aftermarket fretless necks and could recommend one.

Thanks.

Having tried a few for me it's Status all day , but aware costs etc

If you can find the MM ebanol for the right money then it's a pretty good value one plus it plays nicely when all set up

Last option is the De fret , didn't do Jaco any harm ;-)

HTH

Gary

I had thought the same - adding a fretless neck to my bakup bass would be the cheapest way to go fretless.
It turned out that a separate neck can be quite pricey, and I stumbled across a used Squier fretless bass which
in the end was more inexpensive than a neck....anf the quality of current Squiers is quite good.

I had a Status-graphite fretless neck for a P bass. Absolutely superb and if I can fit one anyone can. Not the cheapest but you still have the original fretted neck to swap out when you fancy. I eventually sold mine for a decent price when I decided to go the whole hog and started playing Warwick fretless basses.

If brandoni guitars in Wembley still have their fretless Precison necks, I'd recommend checking them out. They're not listed on their website, but its probably worth a call. I built a bitzer using one and it is on a par with a MIJ Fender - a nice bit of maple with an unlined ebony board. It looks very fendery including the headstock shape. I think it cost a shade over £100 but it was quite a while ago.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1471009423' post='3109976']
You say 'Precision-spec' do you mean in terms of nut width?
[/quote]

Hey Beedster. Yes, mainly nut width. I can just about manage with a skinny jazz neck but much prefer something a bit beefier.

:)

[quote name='Ruiner' timestamp='1471506876' post='3113459']
Hey Beedster. Yes, mainly nut width. I can just about manage with a skinny jazz neck but much prefer something a bit beefier.

:)
[/quote]

Nearly all fretless necks out there, decent ones anyway (and Fender fit), are Jazz width. I've two lovely old Precision FLs and totally get the need for a wider neck, I find it gives me just that little bit more space and precision (guess the clue's in the title), than Jazz width necks. Good luck with the search

Chris