Why become a member? ×

Pros, wannabees and hobbyists

Barking Spiders

So of those peeps who love playing music there are those whose ambition is to crack it as a musician -but not necessarily to be a rock star - and those happy enough to have regular job while dabbling on the side. Speaking for myself I've never had that single mindedness needed to be a successful one and I've a low boredom threshold. I've not been here long, so who are the pros and who are hobbyists?

I've always had a day job, but at the same time been in original touring bands, and weekend cover bands. Currently have a mon-fri day job, have a weekend covers band, and an original project gearing up for gigging....

Edited by LewisK1975

Hobbyist for me.
I did have huge aspirations for our teenage band to make it, then for me to be a session musician, and then a music teacher, but eventually life got in the way of that so I can only now find the time to play for my own enjoyment or to entertain my kids, which is fine by me for the moment.
Once I stop touring the world with work and settle into a more regularly scheduled job then I'll have the opportunity to form / join a band and then see what happens.
But for now, it's just me, practicing on my own, and doing whatever exam / grade / diploma I can get my hands on.

My day (or night) job is an Electrician on the Underground.

My music activities are purely hobbyist, as a band we pick and choose when to rehearse and when we want to gig.

We are quite lucky as a band that in the local area we know a couple of promoters that will always slot us into one of their venues.

Hobbyist who to my surprise ended up semi-pro. I play for the enjoyment but I will be eternally grateful for the opportunity to play in a decent band. I did leave it a bit late in life but the day job and my lack of confidence got in the way of anything else.

Playing/gigging is my hobby. I have a full-time job, so fit music around it - and have to say my work are very accomodating. Just because I`m not doing it for a living doesn`t mean I don`t do it in a professional manner though. We gig all over the country, and support bands that we`ve liked since we were kids, watching them on Top of The Pops. If we didn`t approach it with a professional outlook I`m pretty sure such gigs wouldn`t be offered again.

I think "semi-pro" is an important category. I started out as a hobbyist and without really realising it, worked my way up to weekend warrior and then ended up as a semi-pro. I was gigging about twice a week, all over the country, went part-time at work and seriously thought about giving up the day job. But... I decided the day job was easier.
Anyway, I was made redundant and now spend most of my time going on holiday. No real intention of gigging again as too much stress is not good for my chronic health condition. Spend most of my days (when not on holiday) playing the flute... but girding up me loins to pick up the bass again.

Hobbyist with a professional attitude ;)

For the record, 35 years have taught me that there is no irrefutable link between a musician's ability and their status as professional or otherwise. I know a lot of people who are great musicians who have other jobs and I know a lot of pros who are making a living from music because they are great hustlers not great players.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1471007338' post='3109951']
Early retiree on BBC pension, supplemented by income from gigs, no idea what that makes me except bloody lucky!
[/quote]

Sorry, for clarity for those of us under 30, what's a pension lol?

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1470989721' post='3109759']
so who are the pros and who are hobbyists?
[/quote]

Born again hobbyist aiming at OM nights locally. I like to play and try to improve as a musician but only for the sake of enjoyment. Not embarking on a career, a formal education or owt else.