Why become a member? ×

Pros, wannabees and hobbyists

Barking Spiders

Pro here.
Started playing in bands aged 15, through school and college. Then was semi pro for around 17 years, holding
down a job with a local newspaper whilst working 3 or 4 nights a week playing in clubs, pubs and then a residency
at a leading local nightclub where I played with quite a number of well known singers / comedians / bands.
Just as my day job was starting to go a bit pants, I got offered a chance to join a function / wedding band, and
played gigs all over the UK, & some in Europe and Morocco. Stayed with them for 16 years, until the recession started
to hit and we began struggling for work. Fortunately I then got the chance to join my current band, The ELO Experience,
who I've been touring UK theatres with now for 6 years. Also still fit in weekly pub gigs in an acoustic duo and a country rock band.
Consider myself very fortunate to be still making a living with my bass, just hope I can hang in there now!

Pro hobbyist wannabe.

Spent far too much of my life chasing the dream, was lucky enough to record a couple of albums & numerous demo's, but reality won and I ended up with a proper job and a multitude of constraints on my free time. Just play for fun now.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1471042398' post='3110252']

Surely 'professional' means earning a living solely from playing music?

Not sure about 'semi pro' - someone who earns some money from playing music? Though I'd suggest it would have to be a significant proportion of overall income rather than just 'beer money'.

I'm in neither camp so I guess that makes me a hobbyist, but I'm fortunate to be able to play and gig purely out of love of doing so, which means I'm not obliged to gig or play anything I don't want to in order to pay the bills.
[/quote]

I'm calling "malarkey" on this one.

I disagree.

This sounds like the old, "I have a traditional job, I play what I like when I want" so I'm a little better than those that play for a living.

Sound more like a wannabe IMO.

I love every gig I play. However I don't play for love, I play for money. I also play music that I love. I don't find myself playing music I don't like.

Personally, I love the fact that I'm obligated to play in order to pay my bills.And what a cool way to pay bills, playing electric bass guitar and singing in a rock band. What you call an obligation for some of thef us is "Living The Dream". I would hope there are others that share my perspective.

Blue

Edited by blue

Hobbyist who loves to play, learn an have a go.Started late on and never looked back I have a love for playing as it saved me at my lowest point, so money wize it's not made me rich. I would argue though it's made me rich in other ways made some great friends and played some great venues...

Respect to you all :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1471013732' post='3110011']
He's professional but you're only a hobbyist?
[/quote]
No - he only helps out when theya re busy.

:D

P.S. I think wecrossed the PC line a couple of posts back but if you dont tell anyone, I wont.

Edited by ivansc

Did my first paid gig in 1954.
Worked 2 jobs for most of my life in order to have lifes luxuries like a permanent roof over my head, wife, children, etc.
But music was always my "main job" for want of a better name. I`ve worked all over the world in the past 60 years, a lot of the time earning more than enough to live without needing another job.
I have always considered myself as a sort of pro but with a little semi-pro thrown in.
If I had wanted to just live off music I would have been obliged to give up a lot of the things I treasure in life.

And of course now at the age of 72 I have little or no retirement income, but I did put some money into a couple of houses which I am hoping will provide once I cant do much any more! :lol:

Regrets? Absolutely none. Still love playing out and recording.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1471021357' post='3110087']
I'm not sure what a "Pro" is.
[/quote]

Pro=professional. Professional being the currently accepted term for someone who earns most of their income from what they do. In ye olden times, use of the word "professional" would be reserved for Doctors, Lawyers and those who put many years of formal study towards their life career.

From what you say Blue, you are a professional musician in that music is now your full time job.

PS, can you post landscape photos of your gigs next time please? We'd see more of what it's like for you there than we do in portrait mode.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1471021803' post='3110093']
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Helvetica Neue, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]I have made a huge amount of friends in the music business, who have helped make me enjoy and laugh my way through 43 years in the business of show.[/font][/color]
[color=#222222][font=Helvetica Neue, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Would I do it all again ? Absolutely, although I suspect the working opportunities are not in[/font][/color][color=#222222][font=Helvetica Neue, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif] an abundance for a Bassist as was in my hey days. Things have changed a lot.[/font][/color]
[color=#222222][font=Helvetica Neue, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]I guess you had to be there.[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Helvetica Neue, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif] :D[/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]

Hahahahahaha.

Thanks for that. I found it inspirational even though I am closer to your age. I passed on the music challenge as a youth when my band mates wanted me to commit full time. I already had an excellent apprenticeship and felt I wanted a guaranteed living rather than going for it like you did.

No regrets you understand but it is nice to dream about where I might have ended up with my mates all those years ago.

I offer the following definitions:

1. Pro = main activity and main source of income.

2. Semi-pro = engaged in the activity and paid but not relying on the activity solely to earn a living.

3. Amateur = unpaid.

4. Wanabe = someone who aspires to 1. or 2. (usually derogatory and implying ineptitude).

5. Hobbyist = activity pursued outside one's main occupation and pursued primarily for pleasure.

Edited by grandad

[quote name='bottomofthebarrel' timestamp='1471029103' post='3110151']
Hobbyist. I enjoy playing music (mostly bass and drums) all by myself. The wife likes it too! She is still here, so I really think she does :i-m_so_happy:
[/quote]

Welcome Bottomofthebarrel. Looking forward to seeing you in the Introductions section.

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1471070558' post='3110293']
I offer the following definitions:

1. Pro = main activity and main source of income.

2. Semi-pro = engaged in the activity and paid but not relying on the activity solely to earn a living.

3. Amateur = unpaid.

4. Wanabe = someone who aspires to 1. or 2. (usually derogatory and implying ineptitude).

5. Hobbyist = activity pursued outside one's main occupation and pursued primarily for pleasure.
[/quote]

This makes me semi pro which sounds far to impressive to me, ham fisted Stingray basher for buffet food and cash has a nice ring to it.

There are a few guys claiming to be pro that are actually just knocking out regular gigs for regular money that are actually just retired from their normal careers, to me that's not a pro, it's just topping up the pension pot.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I'm a rat catcher by day and bass player several nights a week. I went self employed last May in order to allow myself the flexibility to take lots of gigs and be able to finish early on the days when the gigs are a long way away. Currently working with two function bands.
My original trade was as a cabinet maker but have also been involved in pest control for years. It's far easier to make good money pest controlling and maintain the flexibility I need to be a working bass player. My income is currently about a 60/40 split between the two trades.

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1470989721' post='3109759']
So of those peeps who love playing music there are those whose ambition is to crack it as a musician -but not necessarily to be a rock star - and those happy enough to have regular job while dabbling on the side. Speaking for myself I've never had that single mindedness needed to be a successful one and I've a low boredom threshold. I've not been here long, so who are the pros and who are hobbyists?
[/quote]
Former semi-pro - now step dad to a hyperactive, shark obsessed four year old boy, and an entrepreneur. I get about three hours of practice in a week on average and most of that is spent trying to unwind and recentre myself. On the rare days when I have an afternoon, I tend to pick up the guitar and follow examples in a video lesson I bought on Alan Murphy.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1471071655' post='3110303']
100% of your income from music = pro
50% of your income from music = semipro
25% of your income from music = demisemipro
12.5% of your income from music = hemidemisemipro
[/quote]

Brilliant!

In a good month I'm a semipro, usually demisemipro, but a number of rests has reduced me to hemidemisemipro recently

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1471079483' post='3110367']
Professional in terms of approach, hobbyist in terms of returns/income.
[/quote]

Yes, that'll be me too at the moment.

With kids and associated bills of all that entails, I simply wouldn't be able to commit to music as a living. Not only in terms of money but time, too many hours away from home exactly when the kids want to do stuff. I'm not good enough to be a pro anyway.

Now in my mid 40s I play in an original punk/indie/alternative sort band. Gigs are sporadic, rarely is there any money, but it actually fits in so I can earn the money I need but also play bass regularly.

Very few people I know could you describe as pro. They may describe themselves as so but you find out they have another income that subsidises the music. Either that or they inherited a wad of money that means they can do what they want

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1471056003' post='3110273']

I'm calling "malarkey" on this one.

I disagree.

This sounds like the old, "I have a traditional job, I play what I like when I want" so I'm a little better than those that play for a living.

Sound more like a wannabe IMO.

I love every gig I play. However I don't play for love, I play for money. I also play music that I love. I don't find myself playing music I don't like.

Personally, I love the fact that I'm obligated to play in order to pay my bills.And what a cool way to pay bills, playing electric bass guitar and singing in a rock band. What you call an obligation for some of thef us is "Living The Dream". I would hope there are others that share my perspective.

Blue
[/quote]

Call it what you like, that's your prerogative, even if you're mistaken. I'm pleased you're happy playing music as a job - it's always a big plus to love the job you have to do to pay the bills, which is what I meant by 'obligation'. I'm fortunate that I no longer have that obligation because I'm retired and no longer obliged to work at anything to pay my bills. That's why I say I play and gig purely for the love of doing so, because what other reason do I have?