Why become a member? ×

Alembic Epic - Should I buy it?

walshy

So i have the chance to buy an Alembic Epic for a decent price I think (£900) and have always fancied one but never played one. Does anyone have any experiences, positive or negative, about these beasts? Is it just a GAS moment or is it one for my arsenal ( which may mean my black Modulus Flea makes way )

Any help appreciated.

Paul

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1471012911' post='3110003']
I had one and really didn't gel with it, despite really wanting to.
Loved the look but couldn't get it to sound right or to sit right in a band mix.
[/quote]
Yeah thats my fear, looks great but sound wise might not be right. Just bought the MIM Flea Jazz and that is a beaut!

As a long time alembic player I would say depending on the year and condition that sounds like a good price. They are really tough basses and personally I love the sound. Two main things to check, serial number to confirm the year of build, the first two numbers tell you the year it was made this should be on the back of the headstock, the next one should be a "W" to confirm its an epic. Then also get the seller to send you a photo of the inside of the electronics cavity. Sometimes owners change out the original electronics for other stuff and that would be an expensive cost to put back to standard. If the electronics are alembic they there are two usual types you see for that bass. Standard is Vol, Pan, Bass and Treble. The other option sometimes found are Vol, Pan and Low pass filter with or without the Q-switch.
This is a post from the alembic site. Standard Epic has the same setup as this bass shown.
http://club.alembic.com/index.php?topic=235.0

Also some reference details.
http://www.alembic.com/support/reference.html

Anything else you want to know about things alembic drop me a PM.