Why become a member? ×

Hello

bottomofthebarrel

Started my bassplaying 2 years ago (at the age of 50) I had an itch and decided to scratch it. The digital revolution has made it a lot easier (and affordable) to learn, record and enjoy music by yourself, which I'm thankful for since I'm not what you would call a people person. Basschat feels like a friendly, welcoming place with a good mix of members, from professionals to hobbyists like myself. I'm happy to be here!

"Guitar Zero" is a great book about late learning. It's part Marcus' journey learning to play guitar later in life, part very clear popular science about the neuroscience:

http://www.garymarcus.com/books/guitarzero.html

Good to know that everything we were taught at school, about how late learning is impossible and the brain loses "plasticity", is just [b]wrong[/b].

My bass teacher says he prefers working with older students - he says we have better motivation and persistence than the youngsters.

Well done you for taking the plunge, and welcome!

Thanks Josie!

I played a bit of drums in my youth (yes, started again) but lost interest when I wasn't as good as Ian Paice after a few years of playing....... Having more realistic expectations helps when it comes to learning. The goal is to keep improving, nothing more. There's quite a few of us late starters here, it seems. It feels very encouraging.