Why become a member? ×

First Double Bass

thebigyin

Hi Folks just ordered my first entry level Upright should be with me by Tuesday been pondering whether to take the plunge after playing electric Bass for quite a few years now. Always loved the sound and look ect and really looking forward to getting my Bass....yes admittedly it's only a cheapo but I have no real aspirations would just like to learn some basic skills and get good enough to join a Blues or Jazz Band eventually any advice on playing, strings, amplification or anything would be grateful as this is not only my first Upright but will also be the first time i've even handled one but at 55 i thought you've got to get this midlife crisis off your chest lol cheers Bob

Edited by thebigyin

Just ordered my first entry level Upright should be with me by Tuesday really looking forward to getting it and venturing into the world of Double Bass....i've played Electric Bass for quite a few years now and just fancied a change....love the look and sound of the Upright and at 55 thought i've got to take the plunge any advice gladly accepted cheers Bob

Welcome the dark side, Bob. Wait for a whole host of recommendations to come in. But in the meantime just enjoy playing around with your bass and getting used to it. Not sure where you live but there will most likely be a bass teacher near you who can at least get you started the right way.

And, as StingrayPete has mentioned on another part of the forum, if you can get along to the double bass bash on 2 Oct you will get a warm welcome and plenty of pointers. Take one step at a time.

It's always said and it's a great idea to have lesson or two with a teacher when you start off. The way you position and hold yourself is very important in avoiding later injury. If you say where you are, people may be able to recommend a teacher. Also. Geoff Chalmers of this good site at
www.discoverdoublebass.com has excellent video lessons to help get you going. If you like the blues, then play the blues! Jazz is pretty much based on a lot of blues, so it'll stand you in good stead while you learn. The iRealPro app is great for playalong as well. Enjoy!

Yup, I made the same move about 10 years ago and it's massively satisfying and musically different. It opens new doors..........well people open doors for you that's for sure ;) I spent about 5 years playing nothing else, huge fun, then went back to mixing and matching with electric to suit projects.

Do get it set up and strung to suit what you want to do right away - don't hang about.

LD

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1471112892' post='3110656']
It's always said and it's a great idea to have lesson or two with a teacher when you start off. The way you position and hold yourself is very important in avoiding later injury. If you say where you are, people may be able to recommend a teacher. Also. Geoff Chalmers of this good site at
www.discoverdoublebass.com has excellent video lessons to help get you going. If you like the blues, then play the blues! Jazz is pretty much based on a lot of blues, so it'll stand you in good stead while you learn. The iRealPro app is great for playalong as well. Enjoy!
[/quote]

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1471112892' post='3110656']
[/quote]
Hi Sarah found the discover double bass site with Goeff Chalmers yesterday obviously a lot to take in....i developed a good technique playing electric Bass for many years i'm just going to take my time and enjoy the instrument as much as can thanks for your reply

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1471111997' post='3110646']
Which model have you gone for Bob?
[/quote]
Hi Gaz i bought it from Gear4music it was classed as B stock should of been £600 but i got it for £525 including soft case and bow....unsure of the model but it's got a carved solid spruce top and maple back and sides i know it's only a cheapo but I think it will be perfect for me to get started and the video of it sounds really sweet

[quote name='luckydog' timestamp='1471118232' post='3110694']
Yup, I made the same move about 10 years ago and it's massively satisfying and musically different. It opens new doors..........well people open doors for you that's for sure ;) I spent about 5 years playing nothing else, huge fun, then went back to mixing and matching with electric to suit projects.
Thanks for your reply mate really looking forward to getting my Bass on Tuesday hope i take to it as much as I did electric bass thanks for any advice

Do get it set up and strung to suit what you want to do right away - don't hang about.

LD
[/quote]

Once again thankyou to everyone who has replied to my ad i hope i can eventually do the instrument justice i will practice hard to develop a good technique i spent many years developing a good technique on electric bass and played in some good bands over the years. My goal now is to hopefully get good enough to join a little Blues or Jazz Trio fingers crossed

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1471195916' post='3111166']
Excellent stuff, I've actually ruined my elec bass technique by using the ďouble bass technique on both!
[/quote]
I'm hoping to stick with Upright Bass all the time now Pete if all goes well to be honest i've become slightly disalusioned with the local music pub scene hence the new challenge not played in a band for nearly 2 years now so well in need of a fresh start