Why become a member? ×

Getting the horn.

Painy

For quite a while after getting my Aguilar rig (ag500 head and 2 db112 cabs for those on mobile who can't see my sig) I was getting a great sound but just not quite the sound I was specifically after. It was a bit frustrating because I could hear it was in there somewhere, I just couldn't quite seem to get it to come out.
Every rig I've run in the past has had one cab with a horn and one without which had always worked for me. Both these cabs have a tweeter though so the logical thing seemed to be to turn one of them off as I didn't want my tone to sound too brittle in the highs.
I'd been getting a really good fat, punchy tone with my precision but I just felt it was lacking a bit in aggression. So last night I thought I'd just give both horns together a try and happy happy days! Why on Earth I didn't try it in the first place I don't know.
Thinking logically it's pretty obvious that because it's based on a crossover, turning the horn down obviously doesn't move the highs over into the driver, it just cuts them out completely and that's what was missing from my sound.
I know not everyone likes horns but I guess if that's the case then the thing is to just buy a tweeterless cab not one with a tweeter and turn it down.