Why become a member? ×

Pick-ups for acoustic instruments

zbd1960

As you know I'm new to bass and it will be a while before I'm up to speed and joining a group... I've just been asked if I could play the bass in a swing band - which I'd really like to and it's not the kind of hting that comes up very often. In the short term, it has struck me that I could stick a pick-up on the bridge of my cello and go electric cello (maybe with an octaver pedal?) as an interim measure until my bass playing is a bit better?

So, I know nothing about pick-ups, but thought there's bound to be knowledge and info lurking in here!

A quick internet hunt has shown pick-ups running from around £30 to about £400. I'm guessing cheap = poor sound/reproduction, but I coudl be wrong.

Thanks

I'd just try the cello as it is for the time being, don't use an octave pedal. Lyle Lovett has had a cello player in his band for years & it works really well.
Can't really help much with pickups other than to say you're right about cheap not being very good. Have a look on Ebay, there are always good deals to be had on there - I got an LR Baggs pickup for my acoustic guitar that was half the price a new one would have cost me & it had never been used.