Why become a member? ×

Strings for Double Bass

thebigyin

Hi Folks new to the world of Double Bass after many years of playing Electric Bass just wondering for future plans what strings are best suited for different types of music...hopefully if things work out ok my plan is to play mainly Blues, RnB, RnR and eventually maybe Jazz.
Just wondering what you guys use ect and what are maybe good all rounders that would maybe cater for all needs. I know this question as probably been asked many times but very keen to get started on the right foot thanks in advance cheers Bob

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1471281908' post='3111799']
It's a bit of a can of worms no doubt, I asked the same and Spirocore Weichs came out favourite, I had them fitted from the factory and know no different, Ray Brown used spiros and I can't play like him yet so I think mine are faulty? :)
[/quote]
Lol.....definitely faulty Pete send them back....just been watching some videos on YouTube on Gut strings which i love the sound of but apparently you can have a lot of tuning difficulties??? Just watched a video of Goeff Chalmers demonstrating Spirocore Weichs sound great....just the Guts sound very old school which is what I like but i'm just trying to absorb all the info i can it's become fascinating at the moment a real breath of fresh air thanks for your reply Pete best of luck Bob

If you have no intention whatsoever of bowing then Guts are where its at for the type of music you mention.I have found tuning stability can vary from bass to bass so dont let that put you off. The E string is is pretty useless as far as sustain goesso be warned. Lots of people swap it out for something like a Silver Slap E which is a good match sound wise and gives more sustain than a Gut E. The guage doesnt match though.
If you buy guts from new they will take at least a week to settle in , maybe 2, so dont bank on gigging the same night!

[quote name='keeponehandloose' timestamp='1471285457' post='3111872']
If you have no intention whatsoever of bowing then Guts are where its at for the type of music you mention.I have found tuning stability can vary from bass to bass so dont let that put you off. The E string is is pretty useless as far as sustain goesso be warned. Lots of people swap it out for something like a Silver Slap E which is a good match sound wise and gives more sustain than a Gut E. The guage doesnt match though.
If you buy guts from new they will take at least a week to settle in , maybe 2, so dont bank on gigging the same night!
[/quote]
Thanks for your advice lots to take in completely new to Upright but finding it fascinating just trying to soak up as much information as possible cheers Bob

I have a set of Innovation Rockabilly on my bass. At least I think they are, they came on the bass!

They're very low tension so they're easy to play and they sound great for pizz and slap. I still want to try some other strings but at the mo I'm happy with the strings.

[quote name='DanOwens' timestamp='1471299211' post='3112021']
I have a set of Innovation Rockabilly on my bass. At least I think they are, they came on the bass!

They're very low tension so they're easy to play and they sound great for pizz and slap. I still want to try some other strings but at the mo I'm happy with the strings.
[/quote]
Thanks Dan my Upright should be with me today so I will see what the strings are like first seen as it's my first time using an Upright Bass and obviously do some research on strings ect. Cheers Bob

After trying Pirastro Obligatos and [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Innovation Rockabillies, which are both great BTW, I found that Presto Jazzicatos are the closest I've got to that wonderful gut sound and feel & work best for me on my half carved Stentor 1950. They amplify well when I'm plugging straight into PAs in little pubs and bars where the sound isn't that great. Have fun mate![/font][/color]

[quote name='thebigyin' timestamp='1471335098' post='3112144']
Thanks Dan my Upright should be with me today so I will see what the strings are like first seen as it's my first time using an Upright Bass and obviously do some research on strings ect. Cheers Bob
[/quote]

You may not know this, but basses like yours sometimes ship with "place holder" strings that can sound awful. So don't be disheartened if it dosen't sound like you want right off the bat, or if it's difficult to play. When you decide on what strings you want, maybe get it to a luthier so they can setup the bass for you. If you are going to change the strings yourself, be careful that the sound post doesn't drop. Keep the bass on it's back and change a string at a time, and maybe place a stack of books or something similar in weight on top over the sound post.

Also, the bridge may be out of place. Generally, the middle of the feet sould be aligned with the notches in the F holes. The interweb will help you with that with images ;)

Pictures when it arrives please, or it doesn't exist :)

Edited by TPJ

I'm so glad there weren't any forums when I started out. I bought my £45 ply from the local music shop. Hadn't a clue what the strings were, bridge could have been anywhere and probably a massive string height. And of course initially no amp. But, in blissful ignorance, I had the best time. No lessons, I learned on the gig. And in the five years I did some amazing gigs, some of them with the biggest names in the Jazz world.

All this is of course a bit tongue in cheek. This forum and its members provide some of the very best advice to help anyone starting out and even we old lags still pick up some good stuff. But don't be too intimidated or confused by all the amount of advice and opinions, some of them contradictory. The double bass is a wonderful and satisfying instrument so initially just go out and enjoy it.

BTW, once I fitted a set of Spiro Mitts I resolved that I would never be distracted to try anything else. And this has stayed with me for five decades. After all, they are the jazzer's string!

I'd second starting off with a set of innovation Rockabillys - they're relatively cheap, easy on the hands and will easily cover the styles you want to play.

You may find as you progress that you (or your bass) would prefer something with a bit more sustain, in which case, Spiro Weich would be an excellent choice. They're a bit more expensive and don't come up for sale second hand very often, but they last forever and are very stable and reliable, so you only need to buy one set for the rest of your playing carreer.

For a couple of years I settled on Spiro weich E and A with Innovation Super Silver D and G - I loved that setup! Then I switched to a magnetic pickup and had to swap the Innovations for Presto Nylonwound D and G. Still a good setup, but I do miss the sound of the Super silver G on my bass.

[quote name='petebassist' timestamp='1471336761' post='3112169']
After trying Pirastro Obligatos and [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Innovation Rockabillies, which are both great BTW, I found that Presto Jazzicatos are the closest I've got to that wonderful gut sound and feel & work best for me on my half carved Stentor 1950. They amplify well when I'm plugging straight into PAs in little pubs and bars where the sound isn't that great. Have fun mate![/font][/color]
[/quote]
Thanks Pete

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1471342898' post='3112248']

You may not know this, but basses like yours sometimes ship with "place holder" strings that can sound awful. So don't be disheartened if it dosen't sound like you want right off the bat, or if it's difficult to play. When you decide on what strings you want, maybe get it to a luthier so they can setup the bass for you. If you are going to change the strings yourself, be careful that the sound post doesn't drop. Keep the bass on it's back and change a string at a time, and maybe place a stack of books or something similar in weight on top over the sound post.

Also, the bridge may be out of place. Generally, the middle of the feet sould be aligned with the notches in the F holes. The interweb will help you with that with images ;)

Pictures when it arrives please, or it doesn't exist :)
[/quote]
Thanks it arrived about an hour ago hopefully got my Bass tutor coming round on Saturday and he can have a look the action seems high but I don't know if this is how they are i've never had a Double Bass before it seems very well made i payed for a case aswell and at the moment it's in it's case on it's back had a quick play on it but first impressions are this is going to be difficult but i shall persevere before I do anything i want my tutor to give me some advice and let him check it over.....it's got a carved solid spruce top and maple back and sides ect so i'm hoping it's a decent Bass but at the moment i don't know where to start but i'm hoping i can take to it fingers crossed

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1471347828' post='3112312']
I'd second starting off with a set of innovation Rockabillys - they're relatively cheap, easy on the hands and will easily cover the styles you want to play.

You may find as you progress that you (or your bass) would prefer something with a bit more sustain, in which case, Spiro Weich would be an excellent choice. They're a bit more expensive and don't come up for sale second hand very often, but they last forever and are very stable and reliable, so you only need to buy one set for the rest of your playing carreer.

For a couple of years I settled on Spiro weich E and A with Innovation Super Silver D and G - I loved that setup! Then I switched to a magnetic pickup and had to swap the Innovations for Presto Nylonwound D and G. Still a good setup, but I do miss the sound of the Super silver G on my bass.
[/quote]
Hi Rev the strings feel quite good tbh no idea what make they are but the action seems high but as this is my first Double Bass i don't know i have my old Bass tutor hopefully coming round on Saturday he's a professional Jazz Bassist plays with Pat Mccarthy Band amongst others so i'm hoping Warren can get me started at the moment it's in a case i purchased aswell had it out but haven't got a clue lol....played Electric Bass only but fingers crossed when it arrived this morning i thought they'd delivered a bloody coffin lol

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1471344393' post='3112263']
I'm so glad there weren't any forums when I started out. I bought my £45 ply from the local music shop. Hadn't a clue what the strings were, bridge could have been anywhere and probably a massive string height. And of course initially no amp. But, in blissful ignorance, I had the best time. No lessons, I learned on the gig. And in the five years I did some amazing gigs, some of them with the biggest names in the Jazz world.

All this is of course a bit tongue in cheek. This forum and its members provide some of the very best advice to help anyone starting out and even we old lags still pick up some good stuff. But don't be too intimidated or confused by all the amount of advice and opinions, some of them contradictory. The double bass is a wonderful and satisfying instrument so initially just go out and enjoy it.

BTW, once I fitted a set of Spiro Mitts I resolved that I would never be distracted to try anything else. And this has stayed with me for five decades. After all, they are the jazzer's string!
[/quote]
Thanks Bassace i've hopefully got my old Electric Bass tutor coming round on Saturday he's a professional Jazz Bassist and i'm hoping he can have a look and get me started at the moment i took it out the case and had a quick go but definitely need advice before I get started i've given up my Electric Bass to concentrate on Upright hopefully i have made the right decision as i've wanted to make the move for many years but at the moment just feel slightly intimidated by it but fingers crossed hope it works out cheers Bob