Why become a member? ×

Narrow four-string bridge

Danuman

Hi all,

Sorry of this has been asked before, but I couldn't find much on it.

Does anybody know whether there are some readily available four-string bridges that have narrower pitches than the standard 19mm ones found on most basses?

I'd like to experiment a bit, since I like the tone I get when I play fingerstyle nearer the bridge but my hands don't seem to agree very much with the string spacing there.
It seems a lot easier to play at the point Leo intended us to, but I'd very much like that level of comfort when playing where I like the sound best.

Cheers!

Finally! Thanks so much!

Doesn't look like a drop in though, so maybe I need to think it over. Not sure if I can drill with the appropriate accuracy using just a hand drill... And why on earth did they put in flat head screws?

How about a vintage style Fender bridge with threaded saddles? Only a simple BBOT but the threaded saddles provide some flexibility for string spacing.

[url="http://www.allparts.uk.com/products/vintage-bass-bridge-assembly-w-threaded-rod-saddles-fixing-screws"]http://www.allparts....s-fixing-screws[/url]

Alternatively,Hipshot A and style bridges come in a variety of string spacing options.

Edited by ikay

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1471337057' post='3112172']
Schaller 2000 is even better than the 3D. I have this on a couple of basses. You can get the spacing down to just over 15mm, and the ballend moves with the saddle so no sideways pulling.
5 screw fitting.
[/quote]

The Schaller 2000 might get you a narrower string spacing than the 3D but IME it's a complete bastard to get set up. I'd think twice about ever owning another bass which had one fitted.

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1471333930' post='3112128']
How about a vintage style Fender bridge with threaded saddles? Only a simple BBOT but the threaded saddles provide some flexibility for string spacing.

Alternatively,Hipshot A and style bridges come in a variety of string spacing options.
[/quote]

I've got a fair bit of wiggle room with my F threaded saddles... in my case I adjusted the strings to optimise pole piece thingy in the pickups. I've also used a Hipshot A before.... solid bridges.

[quote name='Danuman' timestamp='1471291065' post='3111936']
Finally! Thanks so much!

...Not sure if I can drill with the appropriate accuracy using just a hand drill...
[/quote]
So not only do you have Parts Acquisition Syndrome, but now you've become infected with Tool Acquisition Syndrome!
Welcome to the pack. :D

https://www.bosch-do-it.com/gb/en/diy/ergo-home.jsp

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1471342324' post='3112241']
The Schaller 2000 might get you a narrower string spacing than the 3D but IME it's a complete bastard to get set up. I'd think twice about ever owning another bass which had one fitted.
[/quote]
Not actually that hard; I use a drill bit between the saddles for consistent spacing. A feeler gauge would be just as good.
I have a couple of 4ers and a 5er with the 2000.
I think it's one of those parts where if you really want what it gives you, you'll work it out. :-)

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1471426234' post='3112935']

So not only do you have Parts Acquisition Syndrome, but now you've become infected with Tool Acquisition Syndrome!
Welcome to the pack. :D

https://www.bosch-do-it.com/gb/en/diy/ergo-home.jsp
[/quote]

Haha, thanks, I guess. :P

I'm really only looking to increase playability. I prefer to be as lazy as I can get away with when playing, so this whole endeavour could be considered amusingly oxymoronic.

I'm leaning towards the Schaller 2000, provided it would fit without any further work on the bass. The 3D bridge is a fair bit cheaper, but I'd have to see whether one of my mates has a drill press.

I haven't found those a-style Hipshot bridges yet. I did find some cheap other solutions, but I very much doubt that's a good idea in the long run. Anybody know if Wilkinson do a 3D bridge?

Thanks all, for some great suggestions! :)

I purchased one of these 18mm string spacing bridges for a similar project and have been very pleased. It is very similar to an Ibanez bridge:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-4-String-Bridge-For-Bass-Guitar-L-Shape-Saddle-Parts-String-Spacing-18mm-/181287137942?hash=item2a358e3296:g:YQcAAOSwbqpTt7SY

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1471541395' post='3113869']
Hipshot Kickass looks interesting
[/quote]

Yes it does! I like that it's a retrofit. However, I wonder how flexible those little inserts will be, although I measured the string spacing over by the neck and 17.5mm seems about right.

Unfortunately hipshot resellers are a bit scarce over here, and none of them list this particular model (nor the a-style bridge). I'll see if I can order one the old-fashioned way.

Does anybody know whether the Schaller 3D fits the regular... Gosh, I really don't want to say... screw holes? (I'll be upfront; I'm twelve years old :P)

• 2 weeks later...

Follow-up: I went for the hipshot kickass. Easy to install and setup. Sounds good, although perhaps a little dark, but that's apparently what they were going for with the brass inserts. Looks great and plays just like I wanted it to!