Why become a member? ×

NBD Status Graphite Streamline 5

anzoid

Just picked up a beautiful Status Streamline 5 in satin white from a fellow up north. Originally saw this on the Status website when it was first for sale... when I had no money and then it got sold. Well, it came up for sale because the owner was sticking with a 4-string Streamline, so this one has been sat in its gigbag for a while.

Gigged it yesterday and was very pleased. Plenty of grunt through a couple of 12" MarkBass cabs. Good range of tones from the two humbuckers and the unmistakable Status sound. Never thought I'd ever get to own one of these and my shoulder certainly appreciated the light weight. It sits slightly funny compared to a "normal" bass - but that could just be down to the shape of my gut... time to lose some weight me thinks...

[attachment=225597:bass-17.JPG][attachment=225598:bass-18.JPG]

Misdee, it's kinda weird - I've played/owned a number of different headless/bodyless basses (Steinberger Synapse, XT2, XT25 and a Hohner B2A that was my main bass for about 15 years) and this isn't like any of them. It's very light, almost "have I dropped it..., where is it" light. I have a couple of very lightweight MTD 5-string basses and this is lighter than either of them. Not weighed it yet though...

The top strap button is very close to the neck at just about the twelth fret and the bottom button is not centred but offset higher round the body than the bridge so overall it hangs mostly normally though slightly further to the right than I was expecting. The back is genty contoured so it fits nicely though (at least on me) it tends to end up neck pointing further forwards (say, 30°) rather than parallel with my front (0° - don't know if that quite makes sense...).

Sound wise - yeah, pretty tight sound overall but not as trebly as I was expecting. My MTDs have maple necks with maple fretboards and even with nickel strings I seem to spend all my time dialing out the treble. I expected the Streamline to be brighter because of its construction (though it currently has nickels on it) but it's not - so I'm probably going to end up putting steels on it.

So far, no dead spots at all and the B string sounds good. I've been through a few of 5-strings over the last couple of years (ESP LTD B-155DX, Steinberger XT25, Peavey Millenium, Aria IGB, Yamaha RBX A5 and a couple of MTDs) and on all of them the B string has not quite matched the other strings. The B on ths Streamline doesn't quite match either but is better than anything else I've had to date - the tone is more even across all the strings and the B isn't quite so thuddy at the E compared to the open E string.

Neck profile is pretty flat but there's enough thickness that everything feels quite substantial. The finish on this one is satin so pretty much non-slip :)

There's always the risk when you've dropped a bunch of money on a new bass that it'll be perfect whatever happens and whatever faults it really has... the Streamline isn't perfect - but this is a very very good bass that will, I think, stay around at least for a while :)

• 1 month later...