Why become a member? ×

Arrgh - eBay amp purchase has blown my cab - Photos inside..

bagsieblue

Arrgghh - I recently picked up and today received an Old Trace Head as a backup to my main gigging head.

Connected everything up - switched on, amp hummed and hissed and died - also killing one of my EBS Neo 110.
Ohmage and everything else was fine - pulling a 8 Ohm load.
Connecting up my main head to cabs shows one of my EBS Neo 110 is completely dead.

Have reported to seller - hoping for a good outcome!

Edited by bagsieblue

Yep - nightmare, In that it's effectively halved my gigging rig, I use a pair of Neo 110's.
Refund on the amp should be easy, consequential loss of blowing my cab less so...
I'm not an expert on these things but I think the power supply has failed, as the speakon connector and cab are dead!

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1471383392' post='3112744']
Yep - nightmare, In that it's effectively halved my gigging rig, I use a pair of Neo 110's.
Refund on the amp should be easy, consequential loss of blowing my cab less so...
I'm not an expert on these things but I think the power supply has failed, as the speakon connector and cab are dead!
[/quote]

Its a shame about the amp.
But its really not cool at all about the cab been blown.
I would assume the seller though would not sell an amp knowing that it was in such a condition???

However just looking at the cabs I'm wondering if hopefully it blew the tweeter crossover or a protection fuse if it has one!? Least if something like that has gone a fuse etc may fix it, or the main driver is ok hopefully then it could be wired up without the tweeter etc but it would still work alright.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1471385092' post='3112764']

Its a shame about the amp.
But its really not cool at all about the cab been blown.
I would assume the seller though would not sell an amp knowing that it was in such a condition???

However just looking at the cabs I'm wondering if hopefully it blew the tweeter crossover or a protection fuse if it has one!? Least if something like that has gone a fuse etc may fix it, or the main driver is ok hopefully then it could be wired up without the tweeter etc but it would still work alright.
[/quote]

Yep, I'd like to think amp was fine when sent and anything untoward happened in transit.

How would I know if crossover or protection fuse. All I know is its dead....through my good amp. swap the leads over to other cab (not connected at the time) and that is fine.

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1471386431' post='3112771']

Yep, I'd like to think amp was fine when sent and anything untoward happened in transit.

How would I know if crossover or protection fuse. All I know is its dead....through my good amp. swap the leads over to other cab (not connected at the time) and that is fine.
[/quote]

Unscrew the rear panel.
Fuse will be obvious of course but testing the crossover will need a bit more skills you could disconnect main driver and test with an ohm meter or 9v battery

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1471387964' post='3112781']
@bagsieblue - You've not been sold a Trace head intended for use in the States (110v) have you?
[/quote]

No - its a 230v version.

Had a little look further this morning, my findings:
Connected the amp into my guitar practice amp

Amp powers up taking the feed out of either of the speaker out connections just gives hum.

Taking the feed out from tuner out gives the clean feed of the bass, none of the pre set buttons, EQ sliders have any effect here, so assume that the EQ section etc is bypassed.

Taking the feed from Effects send -EQ sliders etc, presets work.

So..works as it should in this instance, problem appears to be at the speaker out end.
Speaker lead Jack to Jack i(from Speaker Out) into little guitar amp feed, either of them just gives hum.
For info first time I connected it up I used a Jack to Speakon lead.

Cab is still dead.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1471387196' post='3112776']
Martyn, sorry to hear about this.
Rather than ditch the EBS , have a word with GEE in Warrington. [url="https://www.facebook.com/Gee-Electronics-133545083395228/"]https://www.facebook...33545083395228/[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks Karl

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1471387261' post='3112777']
Unscrew the rear panel.
Fuse will be obvious of course but testing the crossover will need a bit more skills you could disconnect main driver and test with an ohm meter or 9v battery
[/quote]

If it helps (to help me) some pics:

[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/24llhdj.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i63.tinypic.com/5oh6hc.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i63.tinypic.com/120m060.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1471430082' post='3112966']
I would clip the wires off the crossover going directly to the main speaker and put a 9v battery to them. That will see if the main driver is dead as it should move with a 9v battery.
Similar to this test
[url="https://youtu.be/xIMHGkxw72o"]https://youtu.be/xIMHGkxw72o[/url]
[/quote]

OK will do, when I'm home tonight - that's the red and black wires is it?
Just clip them off, hold them against a 9v battery and see if the speaker moves?

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1471432367' post='3112991']

OK will do, when I'm home tonight - that's the red and black wires is it?
Just clip them off, hold them against a 9v battery and see if the speaker moves?
[/quote]

It should be. Just shine a light in if your not sure first. Hopefully it will move. Looking at the crossover tbh I can't see why the main driver won't work even if the crossover was blown :(.
But you never know give it a go anyhow and report back.

Do you have a known functional amp ? If so wire the speaker (EBS 10) directly to a speakon or jack socket. Try the 10" with this direct configuration. Hopefully all will be ok, the battery - cone movement test is encouraging. If you do not have a spare amp, do you have a multimeter. If you do, disconnect the 10" speaker from crossover etc and measure the dc resistance. 6 - 8 ohms is good, 0 ohms or infinity is not good. Suitable multimeters for this purpose are cheap if you do not have one.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1471461324' post='3113253']
Do you have a known functional amp ? If so wire the speaker (EBS 10) directly to a speakon or jack socket. Try the 10" with this direct configuration. Hopefully all will be ok, the battery - cone movement test is encouraging. If you do not have a spare amp, do you have a multimeter. If you do, disconnect the 10" speaker from crossover etc and measure the dc resistance. 6 - 8 ohms is good, 0 ohms or infinity is not good. Suitable multimeters for this purpose are cheap if you do not have one.
[/quote]

Yes - Speakon from amp to speakon input.
Touch the red wire to the back of the plug and speaker works.

Which means what guys?
Either the Tweeter crossover (the brass thing labelled as 8 ohms?) has blown

or,

the black cylindrical thingy (what is this) saying 250v DC has blown??

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1471465163' post='3113302']
IF it were mine, I'd connect the 8ohm brass unit (which is your tweeter, btw) to known working amp at almost nil volume....you need to get to where the problem lies (I'm not convinced it's with the 'new' amp, btw, but you might need a co-operative amp tech any second now).

:)
[/quote]

Yep - I think I'm getting to the limit of my capability now. The 'new' amp doesn't work as it should though...Copy and paste from above:

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Amp powers up taking the feed out of either of the [b]speaker out connections just gives hum - into a known working cab[/b][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Taking the feed out from tuner out gives the clean feed of the bass, none of the pre set buttons, EQ sliders have any effect here, so assume that the EQ section etc is bypassed.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Taking the feed from Effects send -EQ sliders etc, presets work.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So..works as it should in this instance, problem appears to be at the speaker out end.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Speaker lead Jack to Jack i(from Speaker Out) into little guitar amp feed, either of them just gives hum.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]For info first time I connected it up I used a Jack to Speakon lead.[/font][/color]

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1471465163' post='3113302']
IF it were mine, I'd connect the 8ohm brass unit (which is your tweeter, btw) to known working amp at almost nil volume....you need to get to where the problem lies (I'm not convinced it's with the 'new' amp, btw, but you might need a co-operative amp tech any second now).

:)
[/quote]

Good advice, again you could test the 8 ohm brass unit (aka tweeter) with a multimeter. Measure its dc resistance, 0 or infinty (flashing 1 on many meters) is not good. The 250V black cylindrical thingy is a capacitor, unlikely to have gone u/s. If Chorley was somewhat closer to Mid-Wales I would offer to 'take a look'. On the plus side, the TE is 'old' technology and is thus repairable at sensible money (depending what your outcome with seller is). Worst case is the power transistors have failed, equally well it might be something as simple as a failed solder joint on one of the smoothing capacitors - hence the hum. Peavey Firebass 700 once in my possession had an intermittent on / off no sound issue. Turned out to be poor solder joint on the thermal overload thermistor, an easy diy fix.

Edited by 3below

I'm pleased the battery test worked.
Personally I hate tweeters and I would just wire the driver to a jack without any crossover stuff connected (cut it out, not entirely) and see if the main driver works with a known good amp if so close it up and use it as is.

However if you do like a working tweeter as said above next step is to find out if its the cross over or the tweeter its self. But first maybe get the main driver up and running on its own least then it's useable if you need to gig it etc.