Why become a member? ×

SR1800-NTF?

BobTheBassist

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster - nice to meet you all.

What has prompted me to come out my cave you ask?

Well, it goes like this. I'm currently looking to sell my Warwick Thumb 5NT and get something which is, to put it kindly - a bit nicer to play. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound to the Thumb but it's a heavy beastie, and the neck dive is at the best of times - very annoying. I should point out that I do wear it high, and that I have very thick leather strap - but despite that it's still not exactly comfortable. More and more I find myself playing it less and reaching for a guitar (I know, I'm sorry!) simply because playing it is more like a work out than pleasure.

I'm looking at some of the Ibanez as a replacement, had a play on a SR1200 today and thoroughly loved it but I was wondering if anyone here has experience of the SR1800 and what the general thoughts on it were? I like the tinner neck of the 1200 and the tone is actually very nice, though obviously not in the same league as the Thumb. I am also looking at ditching the 5th string as there isn't much I actually use it for and I can always get a cheep 5er if I really feel the lack of it.

So, any thought or advice guys?

TBH my biggest issue with it is that first position is just slightly to far away to be comfortable. It's actually really nice to play around the 5th fret and higher but at the bottom end it's just not quite a natural stance and the result is an arm that's going to sleep after an hour playing. It's also a mid 2000's model with the baseball bat necks they had then.

Don't get me wrong, not saying it's a bad bass (it's absolutely not) just trying to explain why I've fallen out of love with it.

[quote name='BobTheBassist' timestamp='1471379926' post='3112717']
The thru neck doesn't have that much of an effect then?
[/quote]

On what? None of the sr1200-1800 are neck through, they are all bolt on.

I am not sure what difference bolt on really means on some guitars, I have the older SR1000 premier which is neck through, it is very solid and possibly more stable but without anything to directly compare it to it is hard to say.

I know what you mean. I had a Thumb Bass, which I played for years. I loved the tones that could be generated by the thing and it was great to play whilst seated. However, because the top horn and strap button are so far back, the first fret is so far away that playing around there is extremely uncomfortable and fatigue-inducing when playing live. It's a heavy bass, and with neck dive issues too, for sure. My Thumb bass was from the early 2000's, so it also had a chunky neck. Not ideal.

I got rid of mine in favour of a Streamer. Every one of those issues was instantly erased. The Streamer is a different animal altogether. Extremely comfortable to play. Perhaps consider trying one, before taking the plunge on an Ibanez?

Bear in mind, with Warwick basses, the neck thickness varies dramatically. The era of the chunky necks was the decade from about 2000 onwards, I think. Please, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Fionn

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1471409703' post='3112822']
Some are neckthrough

[url="http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/ibanez_sr1400_t-vnf-yibanez34924.asp"]http://www.richtonem...ibanez34924.asp[/url]
[/quote]

Oh yes, the older models with the 't' in there, so the 1400 tVNF is neck through but the later 1400 VNF isn't. There aren't any current neck throughs (which is a bit odd).

i have the SR1805 NTF and rate it very highly, if it were german or US made it would probably cost a hell of alot more. Its light, the neck is lovely and smooth to play and it balances really well. The Nordstrand pickups have a great range of tones and can get slightly growly and the eq is flexible. any other questions fire away

Again, thanks everyone. I've asked my local PMT to get in the 1800 and 1805 (I figure maybe I'll love it in a 5er) and I'll give both a try.

I looked at the 3005 and the 5005, both looked good, but a bit more than I want to pay and I know better than to "just try it, even though I won't buy it". That way leads to no money and a house full of bass guitars!

[quote name='BobTheBassist' timestamp='1471441162' post='3113070']
Again, thanks everyone. I've asked my local PMT to get in the 1800 and 1805 (I figure maybe I'll love it in a 5er) and I'll give both a try.

I looked at the 3005 and the 5005, both looked good, but a bit more than I want to pay and I know better than to "just try it, even though I won't buy it". That way leads to no money and a house full of bass guitars!
[/quote]

I love the 1605 I have which is very similar to the 1805, it is my main bass for most things.

I must admit that I would love a 5005, maybe I will get one one day!

Thank you for everyone's advice and help. As I have little or no self control I went ahead and bought the 1800, and I can honestly say i could not be happier. It plays beautifully, sounds fantastic (lovely growly sound when you dig in, smooth as butter when you don't) and looks stunning. It's also light weight and really well balanced, and the neck is [i]seriously [/i]fast.

[attachment=225931:BASS.JPG]

I did have a play on the 1805, and it was a close run thing - but the four just ticked the boxes.

[quote name='BobTheBassist' timestamp='1471725436' post='3115418']
Thank you for everyone's advice and help. As I have little or no self control I went ahead and bought the 1800, and I can honestly say i could not be happier. It plays beautifully, sounds fantastic (lovely growly sound when you dig in, smooth as butter when you don't) and looks stunning. It's also light weight and really well balanced, and the neck is [i]seriously [/i]fast.

[attachment=225931:BASS.JPG]

I did have a play on the 1805, and it was a close run thing - but the four just ticked the boxes.
[/quote]

Looks lovely. Great grain on the top! The SR serious are really fabulous basses.

[quote name='BobTheBassist' timestamp='1471725436' post='3115418']
Thank you for everyone's advice and help. As I have little or no self control I went ahead and bought the 1800, and I can honestly say i could not be happier.
[/quote]

Looks beautiful apart from the missing string!