Why become a member? ×

How 'good' were those first generation Japanese Squires?

The-Ox

They came out when I was working in a music shop, so I had the chance to play some of them.
Quality wise I'd say they were as good as any Japanese Fender, which is of course what they were.
Current prices, like with a lot of other instruments, are dictated by scarcity/desirability rather than quality.
That's not to say they weren't excellent quality, but personally I'd rather buy a used non-Squier Japanese Fender & save myself a good few hundred quid.

I had an 83 SQ series, the ones after JV. Sen Ash and different pickups.

Stupid to sell it. Mine was something special. Not to say there aren't special Fenders about. But I needed the dough.

Was sold through basschat but I know it was moved on again eventually.

I can only speak from personal experience. I have 2 x JV Squier Precisions - one with a Fender logo, one a bit later with Squier logo - and an A serial number 32" scale Squier Precision. The reason I still own them, and not lots of Fenders, is that they are the three best Precisions I have played - and that is quite a few. If the Fenders I had tried had been better, I would have kept those and sold on the Squiers.

It may be just the roll of the dice, of course - maybe I have been very unlucky in the Fenders I have tried or maybe I am lucky that these MIJ Squiers have been so good, but that is an unknown factor.

Fender Japan came about because CBS-era US Fenders couldn't compete with the high-end, replica-standard copies coming out of Japan in the late 70s and early 80s. Fender Japan was set up as a collaboration with Kanda Shokai, owner of the Greco brand - and anecdotally the very first JV Squiers began their manufacture as high-end Greco copies.

Never owned a JV but I've had SQ and A-serial Squier Precisions. The SQ was superb and one of the few basses I've had second thoughts about selling. The A-serial was very good but a bit later ('87 or so) and slightly more obviously a budget instrument, in terms of finish and hardware. I also have an E-serial Strat which is a lovely guitar.

I do think there's a massive premium attached to the JV serials these days which is more reflective of the mythology that's grown up around these instruments than anything else. Japanese manufacturing is nothing if not consistent and later serial Squiers (in my view!) offer better value - as do the plethora of 80s replica-strandard copies from the likes of Tokai, Fernandes, ESP, Greco etc. I recently acquired a Daion P copy from around 1980, which is the nicest Precision I've played since my old SQ.

Jon.

I have an '89 export Strat. I bought it for the colour, as I knew nothing of its heritage when I bought it. The paint is actually a bit of a botch job by some well meaning previous owner. Although initially I was going to refinish it, it grew on me so I decided to leave well enough alone.

I believe that's one of the budget models, but it's my favourite instrument ever. It's my desert island guitar -- and although I may want many other guitars yet (I'm hopelessly lusting after P-style basses) -- it's just everything I think a guitar should be.

I'm not trying to promulgate any myths, though. I try to keep an open mind about any brand or make. I bought it because it was affordable, it played great and I love trying to make (relatively) cheap guitars the best they can be, however, I guess I lucked out with this one. My friend has a beautiful mid '80s squier, yet it's a dud.

My 4-string Precision is a Squier JV, domestic model from 83. I had to change PUs, as the original ones were weak (maybe due to age?).
This is the only JV I ever played, but I would say that in terms of sound, wood resonance, and vibe it is one of the better Precisions
I ever played. So yes, you can really find great basses there, but I think the current prices are a bit high. If you compare the JVs to
a used Fender US AV, there is not much of a difference, and the Fender AV is a better bass in terms of built quality.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1471427192' post='3112942']
I had an 83 SQ series, the ones after JV. Sen Ash and different pickups.

Stupid to sell it. Mine was something special... But I needed the dough.
[/quote]

Same story here. I had an SQ Precision, a little abused but bought locally for £100 - the guy was a drummer and didn't know what he had! It kicked my US Precision's arse, which was no slouch itself! Only problem is the US Precision was a wedding present from my wife so I couldn't get rid of it when I needed GAS coupons. So I sold my Squier locally for £250. Went back to the guy a while later and offered to buy it back but no dice...