Why become a member? ×

Who pays for rehearsal room if 1 person drops out?

solo4652

I wouldn't be in a band with anyone who would miss for anything other than a short notice uncontrkable situation , which would be rare so I wouldn't be an issue to use the band kitty as always

I do however know our guitarist has a policy in his other band whoever cancels pays , but I think they are more likely to Miss easily

Statistically, that's 40% of rehearsals cancelled for sickness, 30% where not everyone turned up, leaving 30% where everyone turned up.

If it were me, I'd be getting a tad frustrated at this point.

And, yes, if the guitarist cancelled at the last minute, then he should carry the cost of the room.

These days I say stay at home and learn a set if its covers and the band should be able to bash out a full set at the first rehearsal if everyone has done home work.
Then second rehearsal the next set followed by the first.

I have often found those that can not accomplish this simple basic task are best avoided and turn up having learned nothing, pressure gets results and gets rid of timewasters before it gets expensive.

Depends at what level you are looking to play, but I gave up funding peoples hobbies and ego trips out of my wages long ago.
These days, its do the work at home and get it 90% right or we are all wasting our time and money.

We have a rule: You cancel, you pay. Simple as that. The only sort of emergency that would be an exception would be some one known to a band member has died or an accident that has resulted in a broken limb. If your kids are sick then its ok to cancel but you still pay.
We are a covers band so we always have a giggable set so its not like at this stage 4 years down the line we are short of material so its not a major disaster if we have a cancellation. We block book our place every other month or so to do new stuff, tweaking ect.
But.........what must be taken into consideration: everyone will have taken time out to learn material for the rehearsal plus may have planned their week/work life around it. Its not acceptable for anyone in my book to simply blow it off cause they dont feel like it or are tired after work. I cant stand lame excuses and would rather people were just up front.."sorry guys but I'm just too knackered today and will be of no use". No problem...you pay. If a band member repeatedly didn't attend then said band member would need to ask themselves if they really have the time and energy to be in a band because I would be asking them the same thing.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1471520708' post='3113614']
If you have to pay anyway, why not rehearse without your guitarist? A lot can still be achieved with the absence of a group member.
[/quote]

Not necessarily so IMO. My idea of a rehearsal is so the [u]whole band[/u] can work on being tight etc, and work out any problems [u]as a unit[/u] It is when we fine tune all we have learned alone at home (or SHOULD have learned..) and see how it works in a band situation. I think it is futile for a bassist to go to a rehearsal if the drummer is not going to show. It is either a "band" or it's not.

We've had occasions , just like all other bands, where someone cannot rehearse, but we're in the fortunate position of being able to rehearse in our rhyth git's back room, where the PA , all amps, and a drumkit are permanently set up.

Having said that, we've tried reheasring without one of the guys there, and its quite hard work. Its those times when you suddenly realise that you take cues from everyone else, especially the drummer, in our case.

Rehearsals without the singer are just as awkward, for us anyway, and same goes for the both guitarists. The only person the band can rehearse without and still get a somewhat decent practice in, is me

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1471520708' post='3113614']
If you have to pay anyway, why not rehearse without your guitarist? A lot can still be achieved with the absence of a group member.
[/quote] There is always this as well. Still productive, A chance to come up with some nice twists and turns with the rhythm section without the singer or gitard getting bored or bossy. You can take your time to sort out a possible groove problem. If its agreed in advance that is. I still insist however, if they cancel on the day.....they pay.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1471446378' post='3113118']
I've just jotted down the band's rehearsal history. It's a start-up band, and the full has only met 3 times:

Rehearsal 1 - Went ahead without lead singer who was sick. Room costs split between those present.
Rehearsal 2 - As rehearsal 1
Rehearsal 3 - As rehearsals 1 and 2
Rehearsal 4 - Cancelled. Guitarist's wife sick. No room costs
Rehearsal 5 - Cancelled. Both singers (man and wife) sick. No room costs
Rehearsal 6 - Cancelled. Guitarist's wife sick. No room costs

At this point, I suggested a short summer break while people recovered from various illnesses, and the guitarist's wife gave birth.

Rehearsal 7 - All present! Room costs split evenly
Rehearsal 8 - All present, but guitarist and both singers arrived with no money. Room costs split between drummer and myself.
Rehearsal 9 - All present. Room costs split between those who didn't pay the previous time.
Rehearsal 10 - Due tonight. Cancelled late because guitarist's wife is sick. Guitarist has offered to pay room costs.
[/quote]

Rehearsal 11 - Due last night. I turned up, as arranged, Both singers absent because they were taking daughter to an audition. Drummer, guitarist and myself paid for room and played through a few songs, but a bit meaningless without vocals. I had a good moan and said that I'd be looking for an additional band/project.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1472119761' post='3118637']
Rehearsal 11 - Due last night. I turned up, as arranged, Both singers absent because they were taking daughter to an audition. Drummer, guitarist and myself paid for room and played through a few songs, but a bit meaningless without vocals. I had a good moan and said that I'd be looking for an additional band/project.
[/quote]

daughter's auditions... those didn't come suddenly on the day, so they knew they were not going to be there. Did they let you all know in advance?

Rehearsal 8 - 3 out of 5 arrived with no money???? Surely they knew there would be a room fee to be paid. Notice 2 were the singers, presumably the same singers who also missed your most recent to "take daughter to an audition". The p1ss is being taken, I suggest. Time to move on, imho. Don't bother to complain - they've heard it before and know they can continue to mess you about. Just say "See yer".

I don't know how much notice the singers got regarding their daughter's audition, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't know at least the day before. The guitarist (good friends with singers) rang me yesterday morning to say that the singers may be a bit late. I pretty much knew at that point they wouldn't be there, but I went along because I'd said I would. I pride myself on my punctuality, and doing what I've promised to do. Last night the guitarist forgot his debit card and didn't know whether he had enough petrol in his car to get home.

I give up. I've let them know that I'm looking for another project.