Why become a member? ×

Fret Buzz - Again!

njr911

I've set up my 2001 USA P bass again this weekend, Neck relief is OK at .13. I then set the action at 2.5mm at the 12th fret on E going down to 2mm on G.

I get a buzz when playing on all frets on all strings so not a relief issue. 2.5mm is the Fender recommended height, I have 2.5mm on other basses with no issues. Why is this bugger buzzing ??

This is about the 6 time I've set it up so might be time to take to a pro.

I've changed from rounds to flats which have helped a little due to higher tension.

Any other ideas ?

Is there a high fret? Buzzing all over means there could be several - or none. One high fret would likely mean buzzing in that area of the fretboard.

Keep in mind all strings have slightly different properties. IME Jazz Flats from Tomastik Enfield need a lot of room to wobble whereas most other flats need less relief.

String type/gauge is a good suggestion and I'd look here first. But if they are the usual brand which you use on your other basses some possibilities could be:

1, Tighter radius compared to your other basses- If the frets are not levelled correctly (along the string paths) this will make it difficult to obtain a lower action. It's perfectly possible to have a tight radius and low action, but the fretwork needs to be right.

2, Playing style - perhaps you dig in a bit more with this bass.

3, Fretwork. There doesn't necessarily have to be one or two that are quite high causing big problems, just a few small discrepancies would be enough to necessitate raising the action.

So if you get a (good) luthier to perform the fretwork then set it up, that'd cover both 1 and 3.

Rather than go by the recommended measurements, have you tried slowly raising the action (I'm talking fractions of a turn on the saddle screws) until the fret buzz disappears? If the relief is indeed correct for the neck/fretboard radius and you can eliminate fret buzz and the action is still comfortable then it's problem solved.

Could obviously be one high fret near the bottom of the neck hence the buzz all over.
And/Or Could be a ski jump has developed. This can happen gradually over time but because of the tiny clearances involved you can notice it all of a sudden if your playing style is robust.
Also what cab happen is after changing strings the neck bends one way, then the other this can make a fret that wasn't totally secure (for various reasons) move that tiny amount to cause buzz.
At .013 and 2.5mm you should not get any fret buzz at all really some very hard pluckers could yes but it seems that.
This happens a lot on bolt on necks. Although it can happen to set and neck through construction.
I'm typing this on a mobile so can't see where your based. If your in the north east I will happily sort out any issues.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1471604431' post='3114354']
Rather than go by the recommended measurements, have you tried slowly raising the action (I'm talking fractions of a turn on the saddle screws) until the fret buzz disappears? If the relief is indeed correct for the neck/fretboard radius and you can eliminate fret buzz and the action is still comfortable then it's problem solved.
[/quote]

That's what I typically do; sometimes it's a matter of half turn of the saddle screws. However, if the action where the buzz disappears is too high, something is wrong, and professional help is needed.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1471610786' post='3114436']
Could obviously be one high fret near the bottom of the neck hence the buzz all over.
And/Or Could be a ski jump has developed. This can happen gradually over time but because of the tiny clearances involved you can notice it all of a sudden if your playing style is robust.
Also what cab happen is after changing strings the neck bends one way, then the other this can make a fret that wasn't totally secure (for various reasons) move that tiny amount to cause buzz.
At .013 and 2.5mm you should not get any fret buzz at all really some very hard pluckers could yes but it seems that.
This happens a lot on bolt on necks. Although it can happen to set and neck through construction.
I'm typing this on a mobile so can't see where your based. If your in the north east I will happily sort out any issues.
[/quote]

I'm in Leeds but ofen up in your neck of the woods so will be in touch cheers!

I think some of my issue is i'm playing acoustically when setting up a bass and worked out while playing live yesterday I have a much softer technique when amplified! (I always use a pick)