Why become a member? ×

Small electric shocks from strings and bridge

Harryburke14

Okay so today I was also getting shocks from the other amp - house electronics I thought.

However I may have found the issue - my phone.

Just noticed from playing along no issue, then picking up my iPhone while it was charging caused my other arm, resting on the strings, to get a shock. Low and behold I've found that when touching both the bass and the plugged in phone, small shocks. Touching one of the two, no shocks. Touching the phone and bass when the phones not plugged in, no shocks. Touching both the bass and the plugged in phone - snappy, painful electric shocks that feel like the hairs in my arm are being ripped out.

Edited by Harryburke14

Your phone charger more than likely has no earth connection and like many other appliances should be double insulated (the charger should carry the two concentric squares symbol). I wonder if there's some problem with the phone/charger that becomes apparent when you provide a ground for it through your bass guitar and amplifier? Have you got any other double insulated electrical items that give you the same shock if you touch them at the same time as handling your bass?

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1472225227' post='3119644']
I don't know I haven't tried - and feel a bit hesitant to try with all the shocks.
[/quote]

I thought you might say that and I don't blame you! I've never had this kind of problem but if you have a multimeter and use that to provide the connection between phone and bass strings I wonder if you might be able to measure the actual voltage involved and check other appliances in place of the phone/charger to see if the shocks only come from the phone/charger combination?

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1472225925' post='3119653']
Found out only that the problem is made worse if they are both plugged into to the same extension cable or if I'm wearing headphones plugged into my phone when it happens. I don't really want to try any more
[/quote]

You're a real advert for iPhones aren't you? Is is an Apple charger?

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1472225925' post='3119653']
Found out only that the problem is made worse if they are both plugged into to the same extension cable or if I'm wearing headphones plugged into my phone when it happens. I don't really want to try any more
[/quote]Check out 'Darwin Awards' , given (posthumously) to those who found inventive ways of removing their genes from the genepool ! Then, call an electrician to check over the house wiring !

HTH !

LD

I'm concerned you are continuing to give yourself electric shocks. Depending upon a few variables it could be fatal. Please stop.

I'm a little surprised PMT are taking things so lightly, your relatives might sue if you are killed.

It could be anything from the wiring in the house to having any or all of your electrical goods being faulty but with no test gear and your current (!) level of knowledge you need someone to come and check. I've an idea what it is but I'm reluctant to suggest anything in case you decide since the previous shocks didn't do any lasting damage that one more won't hurt. Get someone in who can test what voltages you are dealing with, where they come from and how good your earth circuits are.

Good luck and don't use up any more of your nine lives. Seriously.

Some electrical test plugs do not show an earth-neutral fault. I am also not sure if they will reveal floating earth potentials either. So although the test plug says ok (for what it can test) the reality may be different. +1 to the oft stated good advice by previous posters. Stop. Seek professional advice whilst you are still able to.

Edited by 3below

From the initial posting:

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1471460039' post='3113235']

I have lately been noticing myself getting small electric shocks from the strings and bridge of 2 of my basses (Sire M3 and Harley Benton Jazz bass). They usually occur when I've been plugged into the amp for about 20 minutes and in both inputs on the amp. The amp itself is Ashdown Vintage 12 for those interested.

Does anyone know what would be causing this, and if so how to stop it?
[/quote]

So to clarify was this happening 'on its own' or was the iPhone/Charger involved at this stage ?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorted fellas, if I'm using the bass and charging the phone then don't touch both at the same time, or put them in the same extension block.
Also bought a new actual Apple iPhone charger and a rubbery case for the phone so that there's no chance of a charger fault or being able to touch the aluminium casing of the phone.

People at PMT sent the amp back to Ashdown and they've re-earthed it also.

Combination of all of these things - no electric shocks since.