Why become a member? ×

Spouses, do they like or hate your instruments?

Barking Spiders

She's never forgiven me for selling my Custom Shop Jazz Bass, Lake Placid Blue with matching headstock. Weird thing is she hated the painted head when I first got it but then grew to love it.

She loves my purple sparkle Modulus, is indifferent about two others but really dislikes my Lull P Bass as it's trans blue, she finds that odd for some reason and also dislikes the headstock - fair point.

I have an old Martin parlour from the late 1800's hanging in the living room, that's easily her favorite. But my getting rid of the LPB Jazz Bass affected her much more than I thought, she loved it hanging in the hallway. I gave her frist refusal and a discounted price, she refused so what more can a man do?

Mine definitely have their places in the house and they are not tolerated for long periods of time in the living room on the sofa for instance. I do usually have a gig bag and kit lying around the dining room (where I usually practice with the laptop) and that is fine, plus I do have my own 'guitar room and an office, so no reason for them to be lying around.

My wife has always known me as a musician so she knows its part of the package.

Fortunately for me my other half loves my basses, they way they look and sound, and doesn't like the idea of me selling any of them. I've thought about doing that a few times when I wanted to buy another bass and she has successfully talked me out of it.
I have also had her name engraved on the truss rod cavity cover on her favourite of my basses and usually play that bass on the gigs that she is able to get to.
She has a hobby that she is passionate about and I help her with that whenever I can and recently I donated some of my old d'addario pro-steel bass strings and made a frame for a rose bush she wants to grow against a wall.
[attachment=225730:Rose_IMG_2603.jpg]

It was me that posted that started this thread 😃
Yes my wife does not like my guitars at all. It doesn't help that I play in a working band so have to also store part of the gear in a cupboard under the stairs. It's only the fact that the band brings money in that she tolerates it.
Joking aside though it does annoy me that my guitars have to be in cases locked away but I have to respect we have a small house with kids and room is limited. Unfortunately she has no hobbies at all so it's not as if I can challenge her.
Just trying to remember why we married 😃

Purchasing bass number 7 was the point at which it became "us or them" from Mrs BottomE. I try and keep most of 'em outta the way and have a couple on stands strategically placed around the house. Got 2 dogs and kids and a busy house so its in my interest to keep them in their cases and away from potential hazards. I wouldn't say that she hated them - just that there is a limit.

My wife likes some guitars but five basses and an acoustic guitar in the living room has admittedly got too much. She has encouraged me to spend on nice instruments that will last and are visually striking as well as sounding good. I am trying to convince her that our first born will be a left handed bass player but she isn't getting that yet.
Amusingly I have her my bass the other day and tried to teach her the basic riff from another one bites the dust. She took to it and at one point said "explain that again, I'm going to get really angry if I don't get this perfect!" Which was a lovely moment :)

My wife used to really enjoy my bass and 6 string guitar collection. But recently something has changed.

She seems to be no longer interested in my guitars or my bands and coming to gigs. She has started going out for nights without me. I've asked her who she's with and she just says "It's just some friends from work". When she comes home late at night she gets out of a taxi around the corner and walks the last 25 metres to our door.

The other day her phone rang and I went to hand it to her. She flipped at this and told me never to touch her phone! Sometimes the landline rings and when I answer it, the caller stays silent and hangs up. What's that about? She just seems so distant all the time now. :(

I'm at my wits end now and don't know what to do?

There's a lovely Fender custom shop Precision for sale on the forum just now.

Should I buy it, even though my wife seems to have lost interest in my bass collection?

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

My wife isn't too fussed by my basses being in the house as they're pretty well out of the way in the corner of her work room rather than spread about the house.
She has said she misses my old Warwick Streamer Stage 1 but out of my current basses, my sunburst precision is apparently her favorite (although she may be a bit biased as she bought it for me).

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1471519302' post='3113591']
My wife used to really enjoy my bass and 6 string guitar collection. But recently something has changed.

She seems to be no longer interested in my guitars or my bands and coming to gigs. She has started going out for nights without me. I've asked her who she's with and she just says "It's just some friends from work". When she comes home late at night she gets out of a taxi around the corner and walks the last 25 metres to our door.

The other day her phone rang and I went to hand it to her. She flipped at this and told me never to touch her phone! Sometimes the landline rings and when I answer it, the caller stays silent and hangs up. What's that about? She just seems so distant all the time now. :(

I'm at my wits end now and don't know what to do?

There's a lovely Fender custom shop Precision for sale on the forum just now.

Should I buy it, even though my wife seems to have lost interest in my bass collection?

Frank.
[/quote]

Yes.

Always yes!

The wife likes my basses, she thinks they look attractive on a stand, however we're pushed for space at the moment so there's not really anywhere to have one out in the living room and whilst the kids are probably old enough now to leave it be, baby number three is on the way, so they'll be living in their cases for the next few years still.

She liked my old Lakland Duck Dunn the most, which I can understand, it was a very pretty bass.

Mrs Zero loves my basses. I do tend to run purchases past her as we're not exactly as rich as Creosote. I think she'd like me to reduce the number below whatever it is now (around 13), and seeing as I've managed to reduce the number of motorcycles I have from a similar number, I think she'd expecting that to happen some time fairly soon.

My wife is generally not that bothered about my basses, but she has definite ideas about what [i]shouldn't[/i] come into the house. Basically, anything that's a Flying V or pointier will result in divorce.

Also, she bought me a Gibson RD Artist. Therefore, she's great.

Edited by neepheid

Fortunately, my wife loves music, and moreover, often comes along to support what I'm doing - even when I was in a Ramones tribute / covers band, and while she does like some of my music, she really doesn't do loud, fast punky stuff....

As for instruments, she doesn't mind my basses, loves a mandolin I have (which I never play, but she has started) She particularly likes my Fiesta Red Squier CV P bass, and my Yamaha 5 string (which I only play occasionally, being a dyed-in-the-wool 4 string player) - mainly because of their colours. The Yam is a quilted red / orange / toffee-ish sort of colour. But what she really loves, is my double bass - a David Gage "Czech Ease". I almost sold it recently, as I also have an EUB. There was a tear in her eye as I left the house with it, and when I decided against selling, she was over the moon.

EDIT: The DB lives in the lounge, and she says the place looks empty when it's not stood in the corner

She seems to quite like most instruments really. I just bought a cheap Bouzouki and she loves that. Trouble is, it's all too tempting for me to just go out & keep buying more and more instruments. I really do have too many lol

Edited by Marc S

If I ever tell my wife about gear the first thing she'll say is, "if it's that good why don't you get it?"

We have dozens of her orchids, half made quilts and dolls houses around the house. There's just about enough room for some cabs and amps for me.