Why become a member? ×

Gigging without a spare bass

Nicko

I always take a back up bass to gigs, most of them wouldn't get out of the house if I didn't!

My first Fender P (early 80s) was bought new but started paying up early on by cutting out on stage, so I ave had problems requiring a spare. Over 30 years ago, but you never know...

I always have a spare bass sitting on stage ready to swap if needs be. In about 400 gigs I've had to use it twice and was mighty relieved to have it there both times. The possibility of having to stop a gig is something I want to avoid at all costs as reputations are easily lost and we never want to let an audience or a venue down.

I always have a spare bass and a BD121. I don`t get the "its only a pub gig" mentality. To me, all gigs are as important as each other.

The spare at the moment is a Harley Benton PB50 so no big worries if it goes walkies or gets damaged.

Having said that, I have never had a bass or amp fail on me. It pays to look after the kit.

I used to take a spare bass, but never needed it so now I just have spare strings. Never had a spare amp. I do gig with two speakers so I guess one could be spare if the other one went, but if the amp went I could just go into the PA.

I take more than one bass to a practice often, to see how a different one works on different songs, but tbh I could play almost all of my songs on almost all of my basses - some of the 5 string ones would have to be reworked out for the 4 strings, but I am sure it is doable.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1471516601' post='3113546']
I did all my gigging with only one bass & never had any problems, as did pretty much all of other players I knew.
[/quote]

I guess it depends on the gig. I've seen guys that have had amps and basses fail at gigs. Unless you live a minute away from the gig it can be a. disaster.

You were hired to perform a service and now you don't have the tools to do your job.

It's never happened to me in 50 years, but I still have an spare bass and amp in my car.

Blue

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1471523769' post='3113646']
Ive played at least 1000 gigs and never had anything major go wrong with a bass.
I carry tools to repair any electronic issues.
What's the worst that could happen? The rest of the band would have to go on without me. Big deal.
[/quote]

Depends on the gig, for me it would be a "big deal" and unprofessional.

Blue

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1471522738' post='3113640']
It seems odd that people who aren't professionsal are taking backup basses and other kit, whilst no pros that I know do, other than guitarists who use different guitars on different songs.
[/quote]

I have to disagree with this, pretty much every professional band I have ever seen has a rack of guitars / basses at the side of the stage, just in case.

I know a guy who services a certain top players amps, he has a complex looking Ashdown / Ampeg amp stack, the Ashdown because that is who he is endorsed by and the Ampeg for when the Ashdown goes wrong.....I know Ally McMordie (SLF) was using two stacked Ampeg's last time he toured, speaking to the sound guy there was there was a third behind the bass rig as it was quite likely that at least one would pack up during the night!

Like an earlier post said, I carry spares for virtually everything just in case, however I have never needed them other than a lead failure at my first big gig in front of a couple of thousand people.....that experience taught me well!

Never take one... Never regretted it. If you snap a string it literally takes 3 minute to replace it. I've never had a serious issue with a bass (or in fact witnessed a band having issues) so for me it's not worth the extra baggage.

Spare lead, spare strings an some Alan keys...you'll be fine.

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1471541098' post='3113863']
I have to disagree with this, pretty much every professional band I have ever seen has a rack of guitars / basses at the side of the stage, just in case.

I know a guy who services a certain top players amps, he has a complex looking Ashdown / Ampeg amp stack, the Ashdown because that is who he is endorsed by and the Ampeg for when the Ashdown goes wrong.....I know Ally McMordie (SLF) was using two stacked Ampeg's last time he toured, speaking to the sound guy there was there was a third behind the bass rig as it was quite likely that at least one would pack up during the night!

Like an earlier post said, I carry spares for virtually everything just in case, however I have never needed them other than a lead failure at my first big gig in front of a couple of thousand people.....that experience taught me well!
[/quote]

If you're Rush or Pink Floyd maybe you'd have a rack full of guitars and basses. I'm talking the average gigging pro bassist. Try taking a rack of instruments on the tube for instance, most London based musicians travel by tube.

Pretty much everyone I play with is pro, they turn up with what they need. Invariably there's not enough room for a rack full of guitars in bars or clubs. I figure electronic stuff is more likely to fail, I've never played with a keys player who's turned up to the gig with 2 electric pianos or whatever, same as drummers, sax players and most guitarists, they bring what they need.

In the last 5 years I've seen Laurence Cottle numerous times, Janek Gwizdala, Matt Garrison, Jonas Hellborg, Anthony Jackson. All top world class bassists, and all have had one bass with them.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1471539993' post='3113847']
Depends on the gig, for me it would be a "big deal" and unprofessional.

Blue
[/quote]

A bass is a very simple instrument, it won't explode into a million pieces. Any emergency can be sorted with a set of screwdrivers. My pickups are connected, via solderless terminals, to the wiring loom. So no soldering required.

In my 35 years of gigging, I've never needed to make a quick change because of a failing/broken bass.

On the other hand, my guitarist broke 4 strings on his guitar the other day, during 3 different songs - two during the same song. Which necessitated an amazing 3 minute bass solo from yours truly (by the end of which, I bet the audience wished he'd brought along a second guitar :) )

Edited by gjones

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1471541275' post='3113867']
Never take one... Never regretted it. If you snap a string it literally takes 3 minute to replace it.
[/quote]

I think you mean;

"It literally takes me 3 minutes to replace it"

Blue

2 heads (EVO and MiBass), 2 cabs, 2 basses, wireless and cables, strings - you name it I take two of it. The ONLY time I can remember not putting a spare instrument up was Rock City this year and yup...I broke a string!

The law of sod is not only alive and well but it waiting for musicians the world over!

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1471549858' post='3113958']
that's always mystified me, I bash away with a 1mm pick and never broken a string.
[/quote]I think you need to start a new topic on this because it's always mystified me too. :blink:

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1471546737' post='3113912']

A bass is a very simple instrument, it won't explode into a million pieces. Any emergency can be sorted with a set of screwdrivers. My pickups are connected, via solderless terminals, to the wiring loom. So no soldering required.

In my 35 years of gigging, I've never needed to make a quick change because of a failing/broken bass.[/quote]

Yes, a bass is a very simple instrument, not much can go wrong.

50 years of playing, never had a bass fail. I still bring a spare to every gig.

Blue

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1471542975' post='3113886']

If you're Rush or Pink Floyd maybe you'd have a rack full of guitars and basses. I'm talking the average gigging pro bassist. Try taking a rack of instruments on the tube for instance, most London based musicians travel by tube.

Pretty much everyone I play with is pro, they turn up with what they need. Invariably there's not enough room for a rack full of guitars in bars or clubs.
[/quote]

There's room for my spare locked in the trunk of my car, which is parked in the bars parking lot.

Blue

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1471521661' post='3113627']
As for how high profile the gig is, I've always taken the approach of applying the same level of professionalism to a gig playing to just the barman on a rainy Wednesday night in a secluded country pub to playing a 50000 strong crowd at a festival - you just put on the very best show you can every time.
[/quote]

Spot on. The attitude/professionalism should be constant, no matter the gig.

Re basses breaking, I had to lend my bass to a guy who accidentally dropped his when the lead was plugged in, it broke the input jack so he wouldn`t have been able to carry on. These things happen, better to carry around a cheaper bass in a gig-bag and them not happen than the other way round.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1471553087' post='3114011']
Re basses breaking, I had to lend my bass to a guy who accidentally dropped his when the lead was plugged in, it broke the input jack so he wouldn`t have been able to carry on.
[/quote]

I have a pair of wirecutters too, so that wouldn't have been an issue if it had happen to me (other than an annoyance).