Why become a member? ×

Gigging without a spare bass

Nicko

I took my (far east) Peavey Cirrus to practice and realised tht while it feels great to play for some songs, it is unsuitable as a substitute for my P bass because I can't play some of the songs in the set on it. I think this is because there is not enough width on the fretboard and not enough meat on the neck, the result being duff notes and painful left hand, I also find it difficult to play this guitar with a pick (about 30% of the setlist).

I played and gigged the Peavey when I first got it (it was my first bass), so it seems either my technique has changed or I'm playing more complicated stuff.

I only own two basses so the question is how wise is it to gig without a backup?

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1471516308' post='3113544']
I went into a cold sweat just reading the title of this thread. I have back ups for every part of my gear and could not enjoy a gig knowing I had no spare.
Many will disagree but that's just me.
[/quote]
+1 - depends on your approach to risk management (in my case, leave nothing to chance).

I have 2 basses with me for a gig purely because a couple of songs are tuned down a whole step and i dont want to faff retuning all strings between songs so I just swap basses. If all songs were standard tuning I would probably wouldnt bother with a back up. I have spare strings and cables as well but thats all.

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1471516758' post='3113550']
+1 - depends on your approach to risk management (in my case, leave nothing to chance).
[/quote]

For a lot of people, myself included, it's a question of simply not being able to afford spare equipment.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1471517023' post='3113557']
For a lot of people, myself included, it's a question of simply not being able to afford spare equipment.
[/quote]I'd rather have a cheap back up, in my case a £40 Hondo, than none at all, I've seen a bass pack up because a wire came unsoldered

[quote name='RickyV' timestamp='1471516859' post='3113552']
I have 2 basses with me for a gig purely because a couple of songs are tuned down a whole step and i dont want to faff retuning all strings between songs so I just swap basses. If all songs were standard tuning I would probably wouldnt bother with a back up. I have spare strings and cables as well but thats all.
[/quote]this is probably a stupid question but why don't you just have one bass detuned and play the standard tuned songs 2 frets higher up the neck?

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1471517250' post='3113563']
I'd rather have a cheap back up, in my case a £40 Hondo, than none at all, I've seen a bass pack up because a wire came unsoldered
[/quote]

My reply was meant more for the two people who said they have backups for every piece of equipment.
When I was gigging I had two basses (but only took one to a gig) but there was no way I could ever afford to have spare amps & cabs like many people on here seem to have.

Edited by RhysP

I`ve seen a couple of bands have to stop their set short due to no backup bass, whereas all guitarists seem to take backups. Only time I don`t take a backup is if there are other bands on the bill that I know, so we agree before the gig to loan our basses as backups if needed. When there are three such bands on the bill you`re pretty safe doing this.

I always take a backup bass to a gig. Seldom needed to use it, but it saved me once when one of the tuners snapped on me.
I play a P bass so I always take another P bass as a spare. It can take a while to adjust to the neck profile and nut width from say for example the Nate Mendel to the Limelight 63 though.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1471517574' post='3113570']
I`ve seen a couple of bands have to stop their set short due to no backup bass, whereas all guitarists seem to take backups. Only time I don`t take a backup is if there are other bands on the bill that I know, so we agree before the gig to loan our basses as backups if needed. When there are three such bands on the bill you`re pretty safe doing this.
[/quote]unless you're cack handed :(

I only own one bass, even when I owned more I only ever took one. I don't see keyboard players that I play with (all pros too), carry 2 keyboards along to gigs, I don't know any drummers taking spare stuff either. In fact I don't know or play with anyone who carries spare stuff.

I suppose if you can afford it then carry on.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1471518717' post='3113582']
I've never used a backup.

I have had a failure that I got round and since then take a backup but 1 failure in 30years?

How high profile are the gigs?
[/quote]must admit, when it's no fee, originals 30 minute thrash gig I don't take one, but, if it's gig you're getting paid for it would be really unprofessional not to be able to finish the gig because you've not bought a spare bass IMO

I always take a backup guitar (since my sweaty paws always break at least one of them skinny strings) and always used to carry a backup bass.
After not needing it ever, I have now stopped (ironically could have done with a backup EUB once when the bridge popped out mid-song on a massive festival stage, though me and the soundguy got it back in before the end - astoundingly).
Back doing functions and stuff now, so might have to start again, just in case.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1471517445' post='3113567']
this is probably a stupid question but why don't you just have one bass detuned and play the standard tuned songs 2 frets higher up the neck?
[/quote]

Ha, I knew I was opening myself up to scrutiny!! Laziness is all. It's just how I have learned the songs and havent bothered to change it. I guess being relatively new to bass and gigging, the comfort factor is important as in I dont want to give myself anything else to think about. I will get round to making it easier for myself at some point!!

I think it depends on the gig, we have a wedding gig tonight, spare bass (not really a spare as I'll play both), spare class D head, powered pa speakers and monitors gives some redundancy, spare passive Mackie mixer thrown in the van just in case the new digital one goes wrong.

Freebie gig (yes FREE) on Saturday in the band stand in the local park during the day, 45 minute slot, one bass, practice amp.