Why become a member? ×

Lakland US Basses in the UK

Musicman20

[quote name='Cairobill' timestamp='1471531395' post='3113742']
Yup - I tried a very nice JO skyline years ago that was very high quality. But I played a US DJ4 recently that was just outrageously good. Really, quite ridiculously good :)
[/quote]

How did they differ? Just in setup?

Si

The finishing of the US DJ4 I tried was extremely good and the quality of fretwork/ neck shaping were otherworldly really. I've tried Skyline DJs and not enjoyed them that much. It was interesting...The JO I tried a while back was a v nice bass in the vein of 'a bit better than a US Fender' whereas the US DJ4 was top flight.

Edited by Cairobill

Nope..not for me at that price. I wouldn't say I wouldn't have one at all, as I have a Fender CS which is a stock offering, but I wouldn't pay that price.

I'd far rather pay nearer to £3k for a Sei or something ..get the exact build I want plus I know it would be twice/three times or more the bass. IMO.

I'd like to have a go on one; ~2k is quite a lot of money for a P but if they're as well made as you'd expect it's not completely ridiculous. Always try to think about these things as cost per use (or per day), then they're all quite cheap really.

I just don't think they offer anything significant for the money. Do you get a nice flame/birds eye roasted neck? No. Do you get extremely rare and interesting nitro colours etc? No. Boutique high end pickup? No.

I understand these will be well made, but they just don't seem to be much more than a decent American Standard Fender.

Although Sadowsky basses are more money, that is where I would go. That or a Fender Custom Shop. Even 2 Maruszczyk basses instead, and they'd be pretty much at the top of their range like a lightweight body.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1471532275' post='3113754']

How did they differ? Just in setup?

Si
[/quote].

They feel like completely different basses.

US models are very well made, lovely necks, perfect fretting and I've not heard one that didn't Sound really nice.

Far eastern ones have that classic 'mass produced' feel to them. Fine instruments in the main but lacking that touch of class the US ones have.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1471535503' post='3113802']
I just don't think they offer anything significant for the money. Do you get a nice flame/birds eye roasted neck? No. Do you get extremely rare and interesting nitro colours etc? No. Boutique high end pickup? No.

I understand these will be well made, but they just don't seem to be much more than a decent American Standard Fender.

Although Sadowsky basses are more money, that is where I would go. That or a Fender Custom Shop. Even 2 Maruszczyk basses instead, and they'd be pretty much at the top of their range like a lightweight body.
[/quote]

I have to say the CS have none of the things you'd expect as an upgrade..and use stock AM Deluxe hardware IMO.

I've swapped out the Pre amp for a Glock-which is sooooo much better. The pegs will survive but have two replacements on order as they have lost the friction screws. These are 'original' replacements.
The pickups are under review, but the Glock has given them a stay of execution so far. and I have a Hipshot bridge on order.
So, what I will be left with is the wood and construction.... which is ok enough but nothing fancy like grained or anything... There is no way in the world there are worth anywhere near £2.8k new....
I'd price them at half that at best... so that name on the headstock is perceived as worth a lot..

Having said that..there is something I like about it and am using it a lot atm.. but it is a block of wood and not worth their price, IMO

I have owned a US Lakland since 2003 and done near on a thousand gigs with it. It feels, plays and sounds perfect.

I also own an Am Std Fender which in 2 years has done 3 gigs. It sounds and plays well. It's not a bad bass in any respect but up against the Lakland there's no competition.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1471594664' post='3114209']

I have to say the CS have none of the things you'd expect as an upgrade..and use stock AM Deluxe hardware IMO.

I've swapped out the Pre amp for a Glock-which is sooooo much better. The pegs will survive but have two replacements on order as they have lost the friction screws. These are 'original' replacements.
The pickups are under review, but the Glock has given them a stay of execution so far. and I have a Hipshot bridge on order.
So, what I will be left with is the wood and construction.... which is ok enough but nothing fancy like grained or anything... There is no way in the world there are worth anywhere near £2.8k new....
I'd price them at half that at best... so that name on the headstock is perceived as worth a lot..

Having said that..there is something I like about it and am using it a lot atm.. but it is a block of wood and not worth their price, IMO
[/quote]

That's a disappointment in terms of value for an expensive instrument. I'm sure once you have it 'right' it will be excellent. I've not paid much attention to Fender's CS 5 string active basses, more so their core 4 string more traditional models, but to be honest, I doubt I'd buy one new.

Maybe I expect too much for the money, but for £2.5k, I would expect an absolutely stunning instrument...considering my Roadworn Flea Jazz is so good for £830...!

Re the PJ basses. Yet another example of "oh you want a J bridge pickup? Well you must like skinny jazz necks then". How about having a P neck on one as standard.

I think having a PJ Jazz bass with the J neck and a PJ Pbass with a P neck would be great. Should be standard.

[quote name='nash' timestamp='1471604828' post='3114356']
Re the PJ basses. Yet another example of "oh you want a J bridge pickup? Well you must like skinny jazz necks then". How about having a P neck on one as standard.

I think having a PJ Jazz bass with the J neck and a PJ Pbass with a P neck would be great. Should be standard.
[/quote]

This assumption drove me nuts, too. It was was part of what pushed me to another brand.

Think about this though, a Fender Elite Jazz 5 costs 1750 quid? Then all of a sudden a Lakland US at 2300 is not that much more and a much better (and more consistently built) bass. Sure, lots of many but a Fender US is often a worse deal than a Lakland US if you think about it.

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1471606112' post='3114368']
Think about this though, a Fender Elite Jazz 5 costs 1750 quid? Then all of a sudden a Lakland US at 2300 is not that much more and a much better (and more consistently built) bass. Sure, lots of many but a Fender US is often a worse deal than a Lakland US if you think about it.
[/quote]

Whhhhhaaaaaa???? £1750 for a Fender Elite 5?! What happened there? They've just replaced the previous Fender deluxe models which were about £1400 a year back....what on earth is going on?!

I for one am glad that I don't want to buy any new basses!

Edited by Musicman20

I played a passive Lakland J5 there once. It was about 2.3k I think. It was great though. I don't know enough about Lakland to say whether the manufacturing process and materials justify the price, but it was noticeably 'better' than the offerings from other manufacturers in the price bracket below.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1471606314' post='3114376']

Whhhhhaaaaaa???? £1750 for a Fender Elite 5?! What happened there? They've just replaced the previous Fender deluxe models which were about £1400 a year back....what on earth is going on?!

[/quote]

Currency fluctuations and ever increasing import costs? The Elite J5 was about that price on introduction only a few months ago.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1471606314' post='3114376']

[/quote]

You could pick up an Am Del for around £1000 6 months ago.... the price bombed.
I don't see how these Elites are any different.
Looks like a classic Fender re-badge 'trick'... as with a CS. Same parts as an Am D.

And if that is correct, then this is very dodgy, IMO.