Why become a member? ×

Power Supplies - current choices (see what I did there?)

bobbass4k

The time has come to retire my stalwart Johnny Shredfreak PSU. This £10 power brick has been on my board for nigh on 8 years, and every time I've looked at £100 mark power bricks I felt like they weren't offering anything I wasn't already getting, but I think it's finally time to go "pro", as it were....

Trouble is, I have no idea what's out there now. Last time I looked 3/4 years ago, the voodoo labs pp2 and the t-rex fuel tanks were the kings of the mountain, but there seems to be a lot more out there now. Obviously I'm doing my own research but I would be a fool not to tap the BC hive mind, are there any hidden gems I should be looking at? My total requirement is about 800mA, but i have 6 pedals that are 25-35mA and 3 that are 35-60mA, and 2 that are about 150mA, so the 100mA per output a lot of them seem to offer is very restrictive. 9V AC for the whammy would be awesome, and I know one of them used to have it, but I can't seem to find it now.

I thank you in advance for your shower of wisdom.

Edited by bobbass4k

The available current is the main reason I've stuck with it so long, it's rated for 3A, and I've only experienced mild noise that I would attribute to the PSU when I've breached about 1.2A draw. But it's a single output brick (for those unfamiliar, it's basically an unbranded Diago power station), and regularly running 15+ pedals off it as I am now is a messy headache, I'm on 4 daisy chain cables at the moment. A modular system is a very appealing concept to me. Also, I'm currently powering all my testing needs on my DIY stuff with a 9V battery through an adapter, having a PSU permanently on the desk would be incredibly handy, and I'd rather bring the JS that I know and trust up to the bench and replace it with a high quality system on the board than buy a cheap adapter for testing.

Btw, in my experience there are two main source of noise in pedalboards.[list=1]
[*]Some pedals can introduce hiss or whine into the signal just by sharing the same daisy chain. Try unplugging the power from each pedal one at a time to see if there is a main culprit.
[*]Some patch cables have poor shielding and take in a lot of interference, especially if you have a dimmer switch nearby. With my dimmer switch on, I put my patch cables in a true bypass looper and found that anything with plastic jacks, added a massive amount of buzzing to my signal just by having one single patch cable in line!
[/list]
After taking out the problem pedals, or putting them on their own separate supply, and ditching all the dodgy patch cables, I have a very quiet setup with my Johnny Shredfreak PSU now!