Why become a member? ×

Bareknuckle Pickups

Funky Dunky

Any owners/users/fans?

Just got turned onto these today and I have to say, I am highly impressed. Quite why I haven't heard more about them is a mystery, I think they sound immense. I'm going to get a 58 split coil P for my project bass, need to see if they're compatible with my current pots though. Lovely sounding pickups.

All my guitars have them (I've got a Nail Bomb set, Rebel Yell bridge / VH2 neck, a Mule set and a Crawler set). Although I've never tried their bass pickups, my experience of their guitar pickups, and dealing with them as a company, leaves me confident that their bass pickups will be something special.

Edited by darkandrew

I had a look at the guitar pickups a few years ago after hearing positive things, but got put off by the ridiculously 'metal' names for everything.

Not sure whether they were being ironic, but I came away from the web site thinking they should do the Spinal Tap endorsement.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1471685570' post='3114981']
I've had a few of their guitar pickups, and they were great. No experience of their bass range though.
[/quote]

Likewise. I have Mississippi Queens (HB-size P90s) in my Gibson CS336, and that is probably the all-round best-sounding guitar that I own. I also had a bitsa 'Nocaster' with a Brown Sugar set, and it was the perfect Keef-a-like.

A friend has an Apache set in his Strat, which he is very happy with.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1471669381' post='3114876']
I had a look at the guitar pickups a few years ago after hearing positive things, but got put off by the ridiculously 'metal' names for everything.

Not sure whether they were being ironic, but I came away from the web site thinking they should do the Spinal Tap endorsement.
[/quote]

Their pickups are named so people have an idea what they sound like, they're mostly named after guitar players. The ones that have "metal" names are named after metal players and will be suitable for metal.

The pickups that are suitable for other genres are named for them too, e.g. "Black Dog" - Jimmy Page sound, "Mother's Milk" - RHCP sound, "Apache" - Hank Marvin etc.

I had a set 2 or 3 years back, I think 58 or 59 P Bass.

They were good, but didn't knock my socks off.

Lindy Fralin standard P Bass pickups knock my socks off in a very big way. Pricey, but worth it.

Anyway, I doubt anyone will not benefit from an upgrade to a Bareknuckle if they are using a 'standard' pickup.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1471711324' post='3115273']
Emailed them late last night. Had a reply at 07:40 this morning. Top service.
[/quote]

I've emailed them with a few inquiries before and they always respond well and quickly. More reason I'll be going to them for my next pickup purchase.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1471711324' post='3115273']
Emailed them late last night. Had a reply at 07:40 this morning. Top service.
[/quote]

Amen to that. One of their guys lives in the same village as my parents so he delivered mine himself. Service doesn't come much better than that!