Why become a member? ×

Help! Rare Fender p bass deluxe 98 - 99... Fake?

FMartinez

Hi guys, I'm a newbie in this forum and I'm asking for your help/advice please!

A guy in my town is selling me his Fender p bass american deluxe 98-99 series, but it has a couple of things that seems strange to me. The "Fender" logo in the headstock is too close to the edge, and the "precision bass" logo is missing.
Also, the neckplate only says "Fender" instead of "Fender, corona, california" like the other basses in this serie.
The rest seems ok to me.

The guy who's selling this bass its not a musician and he really doesn´t know much about it, so I can't ask him.

I wonder too if this bass would give me that "classic p bass tone" and if it's possible to put an active/passive switch to bypass the preamp. I'm not a big fan of active basses.

Sorry about my english, is not very good and thank you so much!

100% legit

Nobody would fake that model - not because it's no good. Quite the opposite.

It'd just be a pain in the arse to get that right as it differs from a standard PBass blueprint, and it'd be much quicker to knock out fake 62 reissue pbasses all day long as the bits are more readily available.

£600-£1000 depending on the weather.

And DN8XXXXXX

Means Deluxe Ninety Eight

Circuit is cut/boost so in theory if you left everything central and selected just the P pickup, you've got a P bass with the tone open, knock back the treble control to soften it like the tone control.

Active/passive should be doable if you had someone with the masterful skills and was an option when they changed the model in 2010.

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1471677265' post='3114900']
I've never seen a deluxe without 'Precision Bass' on the headstock, with the logo that close to the edge..?

Apart from that, it seems legit.
[/quote]

True, they do have Friday afternoon specials though.

Had a Gibson Les Paul turn up once with the most amazing top, but missing 'Les Paul' from the headstock. Gibson's answer? "No clue, Friday afternoon guitar"

Fenders used to rock up with different pickguards etc...

I have a 2003 P deluxe with a DZ serial number.
Looking at your photographs I can see the following differences.
Mine says 'Precision Bass' on the headstock,
the plate fixing the neck to the body has 5 bolts and a curve at the top. It is also stamped with 'Fender Corona California'.

The control layout and pickups look the same.
Mine has an 18v preamp and consequently 2 9v batteries.

I don't whether this info helps or not, but it migh be of interest. I know very little about the variations or vagueries of Fender production.

Edited by Len_derby

Thanks guys.
I asked in talkbass too, and it seems that its just a rare fender, or a friday afternoon special like AndyTravis said...

[url="https://www.talkbass.com/threads/fake-fender-precision-bass-deluxe-98-99-help-please.1238589/"]https://www.talkbass...please.1238589/[/url]

So, I'm tempted but not decided yet.

Oh, and the guy is selling me the bass in € 870. That is a good price in Chile.

Edited by FMartinez