Why become a member? ×

5 String with wider spacing

Guest MoJo

Looking for a five string with an 18mm-19mm spacing at the bridge. Budget of up to £300 second hand. Suggestions please

Edited by MoJo

Yamaha TRBX basses would be worth having a look at - according to the catalogue here: http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&asset_id=59160 the TRBX305 has 18mm spacing at the bridge. You might also check out MTD Kingston 5-strings as they also have 18mm at the bridge but might be outside your current budget.
Another option would be an Ibanez BTB - not tried one myself but did check them out due to the string spacing. Final thought would be a Peavey Millenium though I'm not 100% certain about the string spacing, the neck is also very slim front to back and I never found it that comfortable... Anyway, hope these help :)

My suggestion would be to increase your budget to 400 and buy this Yamaha TRBII-5. (not mine and has no affiliation)
I had one like this, sounds excellend, build quality is top notch and the neck is very comfortable. Spacing is 19 or 20mm IIRC.
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/276701-yamaha-trb-ii-5-string-bass-mij-1998-l400-final-price-drop/

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1471846810' post='3116229']
Up the budget a little and you're into Lakland 55-01 territory. 19mm spacing and the best neck in the business.

Sire V7 is 18mm and it's no slouch either...
[/quote]

+1 on the Lakland.

I had a Skyline one, a 55-02 I think it was... it was fantastic. Like you, I favour wide spacing 5-string basses and the Lakland was the only one I truly felt at home from day 1.

The fender ones I've tried have been about 18mm, maybe a little tighter, I'd suggest a Yamaha rbx, I had a rbx765a as my first 5er, 19mm spacing and a really great sound, very well made too, I think I paid about 120 for mine, a total bargain.