Why become a member? ×

Micro amp suggestions please

P Kool B

Hello everyone! I've been scratching my head over buying a new amp for a few weeks now. I'm after a micro head to lug to band practice and gigs that I need to get to via train.
I currently use a GK 700rbii, and I love the it. Thing is, I'm in a new band now, and I feel like I have change the tone somewhat to be be much of a darker, warmer tone (it's post-rock similar to Godspeed You! Black Emperor, aka proper w***y stuff).
I was thinking of going for a GK mb200, mb500 or mb Fusion, as I only really know GK stuff these days. I'd rather not splash out £500+ on a new amp as I'm still in two minds whether to just use a micro amp for practice purposes only, but if someone suggests a game-changing amp, I'm all ears.
Oh, I play a G&L L2000 Tribute too, if that'll help.

Thanks!

The MB Fusion and Tone Hammer are fine amps, also maybe look into a Tech21 VT500 or (the now discontinued) Orange Terror Bass.

Actually if it was likely to be just used for practice and being lugged on a train I would just get the GK MB200 or TC Electronic BH250! Then if you wanted to change the sound of perhaps do so from a pedal; but the TC has tone prints that should cover a lot of ground. It also has a tuner, so one less thing to take to practice!

Edited by dannybuoy

That's the thing though, my wallet (and girlfriend) say I should only get something to do the job (practice, gigs where I just cannot take the RB700), whilst my GAS screams to buy something that would give me more options.
Oh the choices.
I'm also thinking of keeping the pedals to a minimum. I have quite a lot which I used in a previous band, but I want to try a more stripped-back sound. It's really tough not playing around with my pedals, but it just wouldn't fit the sound at all.

Edited by P Kool B

If you like the GK tone, I`d stay in house and look at the MB Fusion amps. They do the classic GK sound, but due to the pre-amp valves can really warm up and become darker as per your needs for the new band. Plus they`re very light/portable so really fit all requirements.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1471709877' post='3115259']
If you like the GK tone, I`d stay in house and look at the MB Fusion amps. They do the classic GK sound, but due to the pre-amp valves can really warm up and become darker as per your needs for the new band. Plus they`re very light/portable so really fit all requirements.
[/quote]

Have to agree with Lozz and it's what I use.

Sorry, I should've been a bit more clearer in regards to effects- I've got plenty, but I want to try to avoid them, so I don't want to be buying something for an inflated price for an option I (probably) won't use, although I shall definitely check out all the recommendations given so far.

In regards to the two posters re GK MB Fusion - I am so tempted. So so tempted.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1471710348' post='3115267']
The TC BH250 seems to tick all your boxes in terms of portability, affordability and tone.
[/quote]+1 for this. I'm very happy with my BH800 as my main amp. Extremely flexible.

[quote name='P Kool B' timestamp='1471711239' post='3115272']
Sorry, I should've been a bit more clearer in regards to effects- I've got plenty, but I want to try to avoid them, so I don't want to be buying something for an inflated price for an option I (probably) won't use, although I shall definitely check out all the recommendations given so far.

In regards to the two posters re GK MB Fusion - I am so tempted. So so tempted.
[/quote]

The TC kit even with the effects on are not more expensive than comparable heads. Of course you needn't use the effects, but I think an amp with an on board tuner is a winner.

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1471698672' post='3115167']
My choice would be an Aguilar Tonehammer 500 which you could find used within your budget, it could replace any larger head too for bigger gigs.
[/quote]

Another great amp! Tonally different from the TC or GK, but very pleasing.

GK MB200 is just a killer little amp. I currently have a string of amps sitting at home but the little MB200 goes with me to every gig.

It's tiny, sounds great, definitely feels much louder than the 200w it's supposed to have and has enough features to cover a lot of gigs.

It's not my main gigging amp but it always comes along for the ride just in case my main amp goes down.

[quote name='P Kool B' timestamp='1471711239' post='3115272']
[/quote]

I suggested TC because it might allow you to do without pedals - onboard tuner, and 1 or 2 effects available (depending on the model) if you need them.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1471724261' post='3115400']
GK MB200 is just a killer little amp. I currently have a string of amps sitting at home but the little MB200 goes with me to every gig.

It's tiny, sounds great, definitely feels much louder than the 200w it's supposed to have and has enough features to cover a lot of gigs.

It's not my main gigging amp but it always comes along for the ride just in case my main amp goes down.
[/quote]

I agree completely. I'm a recent MB200 convert. I originally bought it purely as a backup, but as soon as I tried it, I was amazed at the tone and volume. It's such a useful little amp. Paired with a Barefaced one10 it makes a brilliant rehearsal and small gig rig - tone to die for!

It's a very capable amp and if you think 200 watts is puny, you'd be pleasantly surprised by the MB200.

Frank.

[quote name='P Kool B' timestamp='1471776693' post='3115729']
Thanks for all the suggestions! I had a quick listen to the Tonehammer online whilst at work - that it a lovely amp, even though it's a tone I'm not used to. Today I'll be doing some serious research. Thanks!
[/quote]

Well without wanting to appear forward, I`m selling a TH350 at present, it`s in the For Sale section on here :)

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1471727116' post='3115442']
I agree completely. I'm a recent MB200 convert. I originally bought it purely as a backup, but as soon as I tried it, I was amazed at the tone and volume. It's such a useful little amp. Paired with a Barefaced one10 it makes a brilliant rehearsal and small gig rig - tone to die for!

It's a very capable amp and if you think 200 watts is puny, you'd be pleasantly surprised by the MB200.

Frank.
[/quote]

My MB200 & One10 cab arrived at the end of the week and I've just had the chance to try it all out. It sounds incredible. Proper GK tone, can't wait until my next gig

After having a listen online (I know, not the perfect way to find out the sounds of amps), I'm torn between the GK mb200 (because cheap), GK mb Fusion, and Aguilar Tonehammer. I LOVE the Tech21 micro amp, BUT the sound would just not fit.
Thing is, if I got the mb200, I could possibly afford a little cab for home use too. The possibilities.

[quote name='P Kool B' timestamp='1471805906' post='3116043']
After having a listen online (I know, not the perfect way to find out the sounds of amps), I'm torn between the GK mb200 (because cheap), GK mb Fusion, and Aguilar Tonehammer. I LOVE the Tech21 micro amp, BUT the sound would just not fit.
Thing is, if I got the mb200, I could possibly afford a little cab for home use too. The possibilities.
[/quote]

The Tech21 is actually a lot more flexible than you might think. With the blend knob off it is essentially a clean flat amp with EQ. It also has the bite button, which when disengaged takes out the high-mid / treble boost baked into the signature VT Bass tone and gives you a really warm vintage sound. A lot of the demos concentrate on the overdriven tones but it has some great clean sounds in it too.

The DI output level is affected by the amp's master volume though, which is dumb to say the least!

If you like the GK tone I would try a MB Fusion out, I've just replaced my Tonehammer 500 with one and I'm very pleased with it. my previous two class d heads were the TH500 and a GB Shuttle 9.2, the TH did a lovely warm vintage tone, the Shuttle did a great, modern hi-fi type of tone, the MB Fusion does both. Paired with a Barefaced BIg Twin 2 for gigs, it's plenty powerful enough for my needs.

Edited by ern500evo

[quote name='P Kool B' timestamp='1471805906' post='3116043']
[/quote]

If you have the money then I would go for what you like rather than go by price. I had £900 ready to spend on an amp and went for one of the cheapest ones on my list because I believe that it was the best one for me in my current situation

After having a look at the amps, I noticed most of them are speakon connections only. Now of course that's the preferres method of linking it to a cab, but with a lot of practice rooms still using jack inserts on their cabs, has anyone had any luck using speakon to jack cables?
Still trying to decide between the GK mb200, Fusion and Tonehammer. And maybe the Tech21. Ooh choices!