Why become a member? ×

Is my Hofner Violin bass a fake??

Hibeez

Got this from my dad when he passed away, i'm not sure it's actually a Hofner as the tailpiece looks wrong and can't find a serial number on it.. I'm no expert so any help and advice would be appreciated..
[attachment=225882:hof1.jpg][attachment=225883:hof2.jpg][attachment=225884:hofner.jpg]

Found a photo of a Tokai Violin Bass copy on a Tokai forum. It has the same tailpiece and the same control knobs as your instrument though the Tokai copies seem to properly have Tokai on the headstock. Here's a link to the photo:

http://s158.photobucket.com/user/glennmitchelluk/media/img4_73191.jpg.html

Almost certainly not a genuine Hofner.

Headstock is the wrong shape, tuners are wrong, tailpiece is wildly wrong, wood used for top would be very unusual for a real Hofner, control panel doesn't look quite the part either.

How does it play? If you like it then keep it in memory of your Dad.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1471705270' post='3115219']
Almost certainly not a genuine Hofner.

Headstock is the wrong shape, tuners are wrong, tailpiece is wildly wrong, wood used for top would be very unusual for a real Hofner, control panel doesn't look quite the part either.

How does it play? If you like it then keep it in memory of your Dad.
[/quote]

Hey!
Yeah i'm no expert but fast becoming one on Hofner gear.. The originals have ivory tuners, the gap between the pickups varies from year to year, the tailpiece hasn't changed much in all the models, certainly never been the one I have, thats what first made me realise I didn't have an original.. Still weird the Head has the Hofner badge though.. And you know what, it does have a fun feel to it, plays really well on plodding one note rhythms, really high action.. Not so good when you speed up. really flappy!!
As you say, best to keep and enjoy.. Beatles jam anyone???? I'll be Paul!!

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1471702075' post='3115195']
Found a photo of a Tokai Violin Bass copy on a Tokai forum. It has the same tailpiece and the same control knobs as your instrument though the Tokai copies seem to properly have Tokai on the headstock. Here's a link to the photo:

[url="http://s158.photobucket.com/user/glennmitchelluk/media/img4_73191.jpg.html"]http://s158.photobuc..._73191.jpg.html[/url]
[/quote]
Yeah i've looked at loads of copies, and most have the squiggly tailpiece, and cheap machine heads.. Just confused by the Hofner head logo.. Dodgy obviously!!