Why become a member? ×

NBD: Fender Jazz Roadworn, with Precision neck

mcnach

I was selling my Barefaced Big Baby 2 cabs, and a number of trades were offered. I was adamant that the only thing that would tempt me would be a Barefaced Two10. However... an evil person made me an offer I could not refuse. How?

It was a Jazz. I already have Jazz basses. That's not enough.
It was red. I like red basses. I already have a red jazz bass.
It has a J-Retro. I am partial to J-Retro preamps in my Jazz basses.
It had a maple fingerboard. That's interesting but I'm not after a Jazz bass.
It is a roadworn series bass. Ah cool... I have really liked every single one I've tried.
The neck is from a Precision roadworn.

WHAT??? :blink: :gas:

Yup. A roadworn Jazz, with the neck of a roadworn Precision. Making it a really amazing Jazz bass, for I dislike the thin necks in those.

So I went, tried, and it's now mine mine mine.

I love that neck... Precision neck into a lovely Jazz... perfect. :)

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1471732771' post='3115493']
Looks great! Are the RW necks 'A' profile? i.e 40mm nut? I've got a 70's P bass which I think is a 41mm and it is super nice!
[/quote]

I don't know the A C etc profiles... but it's ~44mm wide, much like the Classic 50s series. I love that wide fretboard.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1471738478' post='3115521']

I don't know the A C etc profiles... but it's ~44mm wide, much like the Classic 50s series. I love that wide fretboard.
[/quote]

That's cool, all I need to know :) looks great!

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1471769585' post='3115627']
Steve mailed me about this bass and I suggested he put it on Basschat as it's a very niche market bass.

But I'd forgotten totally about Jose The Red :lol: :lol:

Looks fabulous fella, enjoy!
[/quote]

Ha ha! :lol: "Jose The Red"

No longer red cabs, but I still got the shoes! :P

I've always been surprised that there's not so much love for a Jazz with P neck, while there's a lot of people who clearly like Precision necks. And a Precision with a Jazz neck seems to be a very popular option.

Today I'm playing my first gig with a band I'm depping for at a festival near Stirling, so last night I was going through the song list with the Jazz. The truss rod needed a tweak as it had far too much relief for my liking, but how I hate body end adjusting rods! Still... I thought I could adjust this one simply after removing pickguard: nope. Not enough clearance. So there we go... loosen up strings and neck screws... a couple of crack noises...this body/neck joint is pretty tight! About a 1/3 of a turn tightening it, and put back together... magic! That did it. No buzzing, low action, and sounds great... I'm tempted to take it away today... but for gigs when I'm not entirely confident with the material I'd rather take the Stingray as that bass is 'home'... but I next weekend we have a few gigs down in England, and maybe I'll just take the Jazz.

Don't you hate it when you want to play with your new toy but you know you have to be sensible? :lol:

Haha 'Jose the Red'! I knew somewhere there would be 'another one' like me, only opposite... I love a P bass body, and a J neck. That's how this came into being, I simply bought two of them and swapped the necks over. I had a little fun with the Jazz bass first of course, adding the East pre amp, and a stringray style battery compartment routed through the back.

Thanks as always to Karl the Equipment Sourcing & Customer Finding guru for his usual help - the guy should be on a commission!

I knew Jose was going to go for the trade the moment he had the bass in his hands. His eyes lit up like a child at Christmas... and now I have a Big Baby to roll out at this weekends gigs. One is outdoor... I CAN'T WAIT!

[quote name='lastanthem88' timestamp='1471878054' post='3116618']
Haha 'Jose the Red'! I knew somewhere there would be 'another one' like me, only opposite... I love a P bass body, and a J neck. That's how this came into being, I simply bought two of them and swapped the necks over. I had a little fun with the Jazz bass first of course, adding the East pre amp, and a stringray style battery compartment routed through the back.

Thanks as always to Karl the Equipment Sourcing & Customer Finding guru for his usual help - the guy should be on a commission!

I knew Jose was going to go for the trade the moment he had the bass in his hands. His eyes lit up like a child at Christmas... and now I have a Big Baby to roll out at this weekends gigs. One is outdoor... I CAN'T WAIT!
[/quote]

I really did not want the bass. I really didn't. I don't need it. But... it was beautiful :lol:
Since Saturday I've been playing a lot at home, making sure I know all the songs of this new band... and the red Jazz is the only bass I've used :)
I hope you're enjoying the BB2 as well!

[quote name='lastanthem88' timestamp='1471878054' post='3116618']

[/quote]

I've done that hundreds of times over the years Steve. It's because I'm nosey :lol:

It is VERY nice that occasionally somebody says thanks though, appreciated :)

Edited by karlfer

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats!

Jazz with P neck is my flavour. Unfortunately I'm still looking for the perfect combination of body and neck. My first bass, a Squier affinity jazz currently has a warmoth P neck on it but there is a huge gap between it and the body. I've had a squier P neck on it as well but the truss rod went on that. It's been on my list for about 10 years to get a nice Fender jazz and find a direct replacement P neck but there is always something in the way! Needless to say, I am incredibly jealous!

Enjoy the bass, it looks stunning!

[quote name='Davebassics' timestamp='1472985081' post='3125724']
Congrats!

Jazz with P neck is my flavour. Unfortunately I'm still looking for the perfect combination of body and neck. My first bass, a Squier affinity jazz currently has a warmoth P neck on it but there is a huge gap between it and the body. I've had a squier P neck on it as well but the truss rod went on that. It's been on my list for about 10 years to get a nice Fender jazz and find a direct replacement P neck but there is always something in the way! Needless to say, I am incredibly jealous!

[/quote]

The Squiers are a slightly different neck pocket I think.
Might be worth keeping an eye out for a cheap Mex jazz, the Warmoth should fit much more accurately.
Then sell the Mex neck to recoup some funds.

[quote name='Davebassics' timestamp='1472985081' post='3125724']
Congrats!

[/quote]

I may not keep it after all... :mellow:
I'm realising that Jazz are not really my type... :unsure: I keep trying to either make it sound like a Precision (but I already have a lovely Precision) or going for 'burpy' bridge pickup tones, but I never like it more than the Stingray...
If it didn't look so good!!! :lol:

Regarding the roadworn effect... I'm not a fan of having bits on the neck that feel like the finish is all gone. So I put a few coats of Tru-Oil and smoothened it and it looks and feels so much better! I guess it won't age quite as fast anymore, but that's not a bad thing in my view!