Why become a member? ×

When do you consider yourself a musician.

bubinga5

Probably like a few others on here I started on bass in the early days of punk, in a school band.
On violin (which I was fairly good at, but after seeing the Starnglers in '77 ditched for the next 10 years) I was just making a noise that meant very little to me. On bass, bashing away on an open string with my equally clueless band mates on those first few gigs, we were creating something that moved me inexpressibly - we were musicians

I was once on a bus in Birmingham on my way to the Cannon Hill Arts Centre. An older guy got off the bus with me and asked:

'Do you know the way to the Arts Centre?'

'Yes, I'm going there, walk with me.' I replied.

So we fell into chatting and he said:

'I'm going to see a jazz big band rehearsal; I have an audition with them next week.'

Turned out he was a saxophonist.

Not having done much playing for about a year at that time, I foolishly said:

'I used to be a musician.'

'Oh' he responded, 'do you still have your instrument?'

'Yes, I do' I said.

'Then' he said, 'you're still a musician, it's just that you are not getting any better.'

Edited by EssentialTension

Unless you bought a bass, hung it on the wall and just sit and look at it... I would say that everyone here is a proper musician. Even if you just bang out three chords or play root notes. The important thing is to do what you fancy and enjoy yourself.

Funnily enough I answered the same way when the question came up on an acoustic guitar forum some years ago... I got savaged by some strange little guy for daring to suggest he was a musician. From the stuff he put on you tube he obviously played guitar 100 times better than I did. He must have had "issues" I think.

I always thought I played an instrument. Then I was in a band. Then someone heard a recording and said "I didn't realise you were a musician" I'd never really thought I was when I was playing covers, but when I considered the comment I could only see we were making music, and therefore yes, I was a musicin.

I was proud to put Musician my passport.

I didn't always do union gigs but back in the day when the entertainment businesses were "protected" and quota systems existed it caused problems getting into France. Germany got very sniffy as well.

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1471774556' post='3115703']
A musician is a profession, if I were to book a musician I would fully expect them to turn up dot read whats put in front of them and get it perfect.
Hence why I am a "bass player" :unsure: if anyone asks.
[/quote]

From your definition then, neither Wes Montgomery, Errol Garner, Buddy Rich or Dave Brubeck would be classed as musicians because they don't read music ?

My 2p worth, based on the biological classification system :

Domain : Musician
Kingdom : Tuned Instruments
Phylum : Stringed Instruments
Class : Bass Player
Order : Fretted
Family : Steel Strung
Genus : Electric
Species : Pick

Musician IMO is a very high level classification, like the difference between plants/animals and rocks. Bass player is somewhere in the middle, a class with orders below it and above it.

HTH !

LD

It always surprises me that so many people have so many definitions of what something *is*. The 'Being Professional, being a professional' threads went far beyond what the dictionary actually defines.

I wonder if vehicle drivers are as loose with their definitions in the highway code? :D :D :D :D

In absolute terms, anyone making music is a musician - what's more interesting IMHO is how people perceive their relationship to music.

Is there a difference between someone who defines themself as a guitarist and someone who defines themself as a musician who happens to play the guitar?

IME there is a difference in attitude to what and how each type learn and approach playing, and how they perceive their own skill level.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1471747027' post='3115537']
It's a strange one. I do get paid to play bass. But even if I didn't I would consider myself a musician.it's just the way that I think.
[/quote]

Tough question. I play music in a rock band for a living, but I'm not sure that makes me a musician or a pro.

I think when people outside of music business recognize you as a musician or refer to you as a pro at that point your a musician.

Blue

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1471787238' post='3115830']

From your definition then, neither Wes Montgomery, Errol Garner, Buddy Rich or Dave Brubeck would be classed as musicians because they don't read music ?
[/quote]

Excellent debate point.

Blue