Why become a member? ×

Stifled by Barts?

Rumble

I recently acquired a pedulla thunderbolt 5 equipped with Bartolini soapbars and the TC4 'preamp'. From what I can gather the TC4 works like an active tone control, but while the bass frequencies are fine the top end seems stifled; there's very little sparkle even worth the tone at 100%.

I suspect this is the influence of the pickups or preamp because the bass sounds fine acoustically. Not having much experience with Bartolini, is this their natural tone or is it worth swapping the preamp out to see if that works?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I'd want to hear the pickups passive if possible. I did the same thing with a Fender and found the pre amp was agricultural at best.
I put a glock in which is such a nice piece of kit I'm thinking also of swapping out an East on another bass.
I'm a bit wary of no name pre amps after my experience of fender.

Edited by JTUK

Another pro vote

I changed out the standard soapbars in my ESP LTD fretless for Barts soapbars ( classics ) and its transformed the sound. There's no lack of top end on these, if needed. Its just not harsh, and thats a good thing. But beef on low / low- mid is where i roll anyway, and these have it in spades

Then again, its highly possible to make any top end sound harsh, with the right electronics and amp settings.

Edited by fleabag

[quote name='Rumble' timestamp='1471934611' post='3117001']
Any tips on how to wire the bass so it runs passive? I've looked at t'Internet, but it's not particularly clear.
[/quote]

Pics will help (hint hint!).
It's usually a case of desoldering or clipping the wires running from the pickups - and throwing on some aligator clips to see what's what!
Come to think of it Barts have a colour scheme. Check out these links:
[url="http://www.bartolini.net/pickups-wiring-diagrams/"]http://www.bartolini.net/pickups-wiring-diagrams/[/url]
[url="http://www.bartolini.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/4-Conductor-Wiring-Diagram.pdf"]http://www.bartolini.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/4-Conductor-Wiring-Diagram.pdf[/url]

Thanks for this. In my naivety I thought such a simple 3-knob system on the outside would be mirrored on the inside, but apparently not; it's an absolute birds nest in the control cavity.

Think I'll either leave it as is and mess around with the set up (although it was apparently set up by a pro recently) or change the whole lot for an active preamp.

If you want a simple, easy route to knowing what the Barts sound like passive, simply remove the wires from their connection to the TC4 and connect them straight to a spare jack socket. You can do one pup at a time and find out what it'd sound like passive, full vol, full tone.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking on the Bartolini website, and they have 3 distinct ranges, Classic, Original and Singularity, all having different tone profiles: powerful lows and low-mids – bright treble [Classic Bass]
:deep tone [Original Bass]
:Singularity The asymmetric blade design yields powerful lows and low-mids along with bright treble due to its precise sensing aperture.

This may give rise to why people have such differing experiences with Barts. You'd need to know the model numbers they are talking about!
HTH
MBA

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1473167970' post='3127585']
I was looking on the Bartolini website, and they have 3 distinct ranges, Classic, Original and Singularity, all having different tone profiles: powerful lows and low-mids – bright treble [Classic Bass]
:Singularity The asymmetric blade design yields powerful lows and low-mids along with bright treble due to its precise sensing aperture.

This may give rise to why people have such differing experiences with Barts. You'd need to know the model numbers they are talking about!
HTH
MBA
[/quote]

Yes..and be honest, those overviews mean not a lot until you hear them in context. IMO.

I personally don't want a great deal of influence or bias from the pickup and pre amp stage so want something quite neutral and natural...

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1473167970' post='3127585']

HTH
MBA
[/quote]

Based on this description, the pickups in this bass would fit the OB description. Would it be stated anywhere on the pickup?