Why become a member? ×

Isobaric Cab design question

Twincam

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1471787531' post='3115836']
The tuning is the same as with a standard cab. The modeling software will take into account that it's an isobaric alignment.
[/quote]

Unfortunately I don't have that option. I'm using maths and a very simple port tuning program. It doesn't have to be perfect but "right".

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1471797620' post='3115963']
Why? I could see it to some extent if modeling software was a major investment, but as it's free I can't comprehend not using it.
[/quote]

I don't have a computer.

Its ok however I think I've got it sorted.

Edited by Twincam

I may have asked this before, but I don't remember any replies.
Could you run an isobaric cabinet with the speakers magnet to magnet, one facing forwards, one facing backwards, both emitting sound? Speakers wired in antiphase to retain isobaric operation. I suppose there wouldn't be any acoustic suspension to control the cone overshoot...
Would the sound phase issues be any different to using a rear port?

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1471871112' post='3116532']
I may have asked this before, but I don't remember any replies.
Could you run an isobaric cabinet with the speakers magnet to magnet, one facing forwards, one facing backwards, both emitting sound? Speakers wired in antiphase to retain isobaric operation. I suppose there wouldn't be any acoustic suspension to control the cone overshoot...
Would the sound phase issues be any different to using a rear port?
[/quote]

Yes you could but you have potential distortion issues according to this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isobaric_loudspeaker

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1471871112' post='3116532']
Could you run an isobaric cabinet with the speakers magnet to magnet, one facing forwards, one facing backwards, both emitting sound?
[/quote]Technically they don't both emit sound. The area of only one cone is exposed to the air, so the maximum output with two drivers isobaric is the same as with one in a standard configuration. The only advantage is a halving of the Vas, but due to the space taken up by the second driver and the connecting plenum chamber the net cabinet size is not halved, while cost is greatly increased by using two drivers. That's why manufacturers in general have not jumped onto this particular band wagon.

Indeed it does seem a pointless exercise. I got a homemade isobaric 2x10 cab in a trade.
The port was all wrong! At higher volumes it would make all sorts of noise I've never felt that much velocity of air come out such a small cab.
I've altered the port well 2 ports now. Ive done this a few times, it seems still too high a velocity, although calculations are saying things should be good. Although I've solved some (most) of the port noise issue. I've lost some low end, the overall responce has improved maybe.
I just don't think it was a well designed cab in the first place tbh.

One of the problems with isobaric cabs is that the smaller main enclosure volume means you need a much greater port length to get the right tuning frequency with a sufficiently large cross-sectional-area port, or you have to reduce the port area to get the length shorter - and too little port area results in chuffing noises, loss of output, distortion, compression etc.

They made quite a lot of sense decades ago for hi-fi when the available speakers needed big sealed enclosures but not anymore...

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1471876703' post='3116607']
Technically they don't both emit sound. The area of only one cone is exposed to the air, so the maximum output with two drivers isobaric is the same as with one in a standard configuration. The only advantage is a halving of the Vas, but due to the space taken up by the second driver and the connecting plenum chamber the net cabinet size is not halved, while cost is greatly increased by using two drivers. That's why manufacturers in general have not jumped onto this particular band wagon.
[/quote]
That's not quite what I meant Bill, I meant the rear-facing speaker is also open to the air, just facing backwards, or even upwards or downwards.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1472042537' post='3117929']
That's not quite what I meant Bill, I meant the rear-facing speaker is also open to the air, just facing backwards, or even upwards or downwards.
[/quote]Without a picture I can't be sure of what you mean, but on the face of it that's not an isobaric alignment.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1472042537' post='3117929']
[/quote]

A speaker emits sounds from both sides of the cone. With a sealed cab you get output from the front of the cone. With a ported cab you get output from the front of the cone and further bass output from the port which is driven by the back of the cone.

With a sealed isobaric cab you get output from the front of the front speaker, the back of the front speaker and the front of the back speaker do nothing except move in unison on either side of the isobaric chamber, and the back of the back speaker produces no sonic output either. With a ported isobaric cab the back of the back speaker drives the port to produce additional bass output.

This is not an isobaric speaker: