Why become a member? ×

Spent £100, sounds like £1,000

JapanAxe

A few weeks ago I bought a CIJ '57 Precision via this very forum, and expressed my delight [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/287183-nbd-and-a-tale-of-4-string-sets"]here[/url]. Over that time I became somewhat dissatisfied with the sound, in particular when I gigged and rehearsed it with my country band. Frank Zappa famously said that talking about music was like fishing about architecture, but with that in mind caveat I think the stock pickup was a bit lacking in the fat mids that I crave, and quite smooth-sounding. On the one hand I didn't mind that it sounded different from my other Precisions, but on the other it wasn't quite in the ballpark for me.

Anyway, I bought and fitted a Fender Custom Shop '62 pickup. Fortunately the dimensions are exactly the same, so no routing, drilling, sawing, or filing were required, although the larger screw heads on the CS unit meant I had to jiggle the aly scratchplate a bit to get it back in place.

And what a difference! My £550 bass now sounds like a £1,000 instrument. It's not a million miles form my '63 RI, with loads of punch and growl, and all the range I want across the travel of the tone control. This is a 'spare' bass that will now hold its own with my 'main' basses.

The Fender blurb describe this pickup as having 'flush' pole pieces, but in fact they do project through the covers (although they are not staggered). I don't know whether this is period-correct for a '62 (and I don't really care, as it is on a supposedly '57 bass), but it might put some people off as there is always the chance of catching your fingers, pick, or even strings on the pole pieces.

As always, pics or it didn't happen:

Congrats, these are my fave Precision pickups, come as standard in current US Standard Precisions. I put one of these in my backup MIM Precision and it has transformed the bass from a good playing but ok sounding bass to a good playing and sounding bass.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1471789151' post='3115860']
Would like to compare the US 62 to the 'US Vintage' I have in my CIJ '62RI. I'll see if I can find any YouTube videos!!
[/quote]

Fuller and richer across the whole spectrum to my ears. The Vintage sounded much woodier, plus more middy to me. More like I`d expect, well a vintage Precision to sound, so does its job pretty well imo.

It is quite early days but I don't think Fender stuff is for me... but I use Jazz type basses.
I think Fenders efforts are quite basic and even agricultural, and I say this as I sit here listen to todays gig playback.
For sure they are ok, but there are so many better products IMO, than what Fender put on their basses. by quite some way.

The first set was recorded on a CS and the second on a 'super' Jazz... chalk and cheese..!!

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1471794140' post='3115915']
I would love to hear some soundclips of this pickup in action. Anybody?
[/quote]

There's this on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFasRbajFy4

The only downside I think with it is that the Dimarzio has such a high output, the interface distorted.

I went through a similar thing with my tex-mex telecaster 6 string to which I had a SD Hot Tele set fitted. Again cost about £100 including fitting. The standard fit Fender pickups are shockingly bad compared to aftermarket stuff. Its easy to see where they are saving the pennies.

Guitarist in my band did something similar with his Epiphone Les Paul. It was a very pretty flame top model but never quite had the tone of a really classy LP.

We got our luthier to fit some Fat Boy pickups, all the pots, caps & switches etc were replaced with 'proper' high quality ones and it totally transformed it.

Sounds amazing now and better than many Gibsons I've heard :)

I love it when this sort of stuff comes together!

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1472304329' post='3120199']

How was it to fit?
[/quote]

Pretty easy. I snipped off the pickup and grounding wires right near the pots, stripped back the insulation, and secured them in the connector using the handy little screwdriver that came in the kit. The pots and socket fitted into the scratchplate holes straight off, but the fixing nuts are larger than on the CIJ components. I got it all in on the second attempt as I forgot you have to get the pot tags facing each other to avoid fouling on the edges of the body cavity.

I gigged the bass last night and it did a grand job.

I have a set of these in my precision as well. I played a gig, going straight into the desk, at The Blues Kitchen in Camden a few weeks ago. The sound through the monitors was pure Precision. I also played a gig, at the weekend, with just a vocal PA. So that meant I had a chance to hear the bass though my amp and cab. The sound had great authority and a lovely wide, stage filling sound. I've really fallen in love with my Precision since I fitted these pickups. My Jazz has been relegated to number 2 spot, for the time being.